Cellulite appears when fat deposits are located very close to the skin. They have a bumpy appearance which has been described as cottage cheese. These accumulations are usually found in women, around the lower back and thighs. Cellulite is often caused by estrogen, which is the reason why women develop cellulite. It often forms during pregnancy, though this is not always the cause. Cellulite may cause embarrassment and self confidence issues. There are no ways to eliminate cellulite completely, despite miracle creams claiming the opposite, but it is possible to reduce cellulite.
Here’s how to reduce cellulite:
- Ignore commercial creams and lotions. There are many different topical products on the market that claim to reduce cellulite. These claims have no basis, and prey upon women looking for a quick boost in self esteem. No miracle cream will dissolve cellulite, and none are FDA approved to treat cellulite.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Because cellulite is a specific type of fat deposit, losing weight will help to reduce cellulite. Eating a balanced diet, even if you are at a healthy weight, can reduce the appearance of cellulite. It is particularly important to eliminate trans fats from your diet. Remember that any fat you lose will come from all over your body, not just these areas. It is impossible to target fat loss to one region of the body, even if these are the areas you are exercising.
- Consider cosmetic procedures. Many times, cellulite appears in stubborn fat deposits that do not seem to go away even after weight loss. If this is the case, you may want to consider drastic measures like liposuction, although they’re certainly not for everyone. Laser treatments can also be used to target the cellulite directly.Tone the affected area. Cellulite often appears on the backs of the thighs. Muscle tone can mask the appearance of cellulite. Exercise can help you lose weight, and targeted exercise can help improve the overall appearance of areas affected by cellulite.
- Drink plenty of water. Water can help flush out toxins trapped in the cellulite. Being properly hydrated can also increase circulation, which can reduce the dimpled appearance of cellulite.
- Use a self tanner. If you still have cellulite but want to mask its appearance, use a self tanner. Tan skin will camouflage cellulite.
Cellulite is caused by many factors, including poor diet, lack of exercise, hormones, aging, and pregnancy. Cellulite is not just caused by being overweight; even women at a healthy weight can develop cellulite. It is very difficult to get rid of once it appears, but you can reduce cellulite through diet and exercise.