High blood sugar leads to a sickness called diabetes mellitus or simply called "diabetes." This condition is a cause of either genetics or bad lifestyle. Diabetic persons must be conscious with their diet. They must not take foods that can increase blood sugar and contained saturated fats. Don't worry cause the American Diabetic Association come up with a diabetic diet that will spice up your diet. The diet will not only make your foods nutritious, but also delicious. The following tips will help diabetic persons spice up their diet and help lower their blood sugar levels.
Tips on how to spice up a diabetic diet:
- Consult your doctor about your diet. The doctor can help you know what foods are not compatible with your diet. Any recommendations that the doctor gives to you must be taken into account. Because diabetes has 2 types, it has different recommended treatments for it so always consult a doctor before doing unnecessary things.
- A nutritionist and diet consultant knows a proper diet for you. If your doctor knows a good nutritionist or a diet consultant, ask for a referral. These persons are trained professionals so you are sure about their diet plan for you. Ask them about a perfect diet that suits your need. They can make your boring diet enjoyable, nutritious and spicier.
- Use the World Wide Web for details about your diet. The American Diabetes Association web page has a section called My Food Advisor diabetes.org, which contains suggestions on your diet. The site has a tool which checks the calories and carbohydrates of your food. If your food is not suited for your diet, the site can give suggestions or replacement for that particular food. You can also create a recipe by using your favorite ingredients that you want by the use of the tool called meal planner and recipe creator. It also includes recipes from users and you can upload your own recipes to their recipe box.
- Try experimenting with your chosen ingredients. Remember that using salt and sugar is not good on your current condition. Use other ingredients or spices that can be a substitute for salt and sugar like grinned herbs and fresh spices. Learning how to experiment with your spices gives tastiness to your food and you will not miss your commonly used spices.
- Know an alternative for your sweet cravings. Even diabetic persons can eat their favorite foods containing sugar. Use the internet site by the American Diabetes Association for more information regarding substitutes for sweeteners and sugar. By doing so, you will not worry about your health even if you are eating fudge and cakes.
- Include vegetables and fruits in your diet. Vegetables and fruits are important source of vitamins and minerals for your body. Just pick the right fruits and vegetables that are suggested by your nutritionist because some of those are bad for your health. Try experimenting on your chosen fruits and vegetables and replace canned vegetables with fresh or frozen ones.