Sleeping is natural rest for the body. It is the process when our body heals itself and regains its energy. You need sleep because it is essential for your survival. Without enough energy you cannot do things that you normally do like moving, talking, and walking. Most people need more than eight hours of sleep at night in order to regain energy, but some people endure staying up all night because of their work, friends or computer games. Other factors such as food, energy drinks and soft drinks, coffee greatly contribute on making a person stay up all night.
Here are some ways on how you can stay up all night:
- Drink coffee. Drinking coffee can help you avoid sleeping because it contains caffeine. Caffeine stimulates your central nervous system to stay awake. Drinking coffee is not bad if you know when it is too much. Coffee is popular because it is one of the psychoactive substances that are not regulated and is legal in the world.
- Stay away from the bedroom. The best thing to do if you need to stay up all night is to stay away from the bedroom. Your brain automatically associates your bed to the act of sleeping. This is the reason why whenever you feel drowsy, your body will practically shut down if you are near your bedroom. The best way to counter this problem is to close the bedroom door and do your activities elsewhere as long as you are far away from the bedroom.
- Take a short a walk. Taking a 20-minute stroll outside for night air will help. Most likely, the cold air will wipe off your drowsiness. You will feel more alert when you get back to whatever you may be doing. But don’t overdo the walking, or else you will tire yourself out and it will make you crave for sleep even more.
- Create an external stimulus. Turning on the television or listening to upbeat music in the background can help you avoid falling asleep. This creates some excitement or interest in your brain. It can create a distraction to avert you from your drowsiness. Avoid listening to lullabies and slow love songs that can make you feel relaxed and sleepy.
- Have will power. You most certainly will not be able to convince yourself to stay up all night unless you are really determined to stay awake or have a reason to keep you awake. You may be mentally disturbed, or are doing something stimulating and need not keep yourself awake but if you have something that you desperately need to get done, like assignments, projects, essays, etc. you will need the will power and determination to keep your mind and eyes open.
Staying up all night is necessary only if you have something important to do or something crucial occurs. It is not good to force yourself to stay up every night because your body needs good natural rest. Sleeping is one of the most essential means of regaining and producing enough energy that you need to do things that you normally do daily. Lack of sleep can lead to insomnia, apnea, snoring, narcolepsy, nightmares, restless leg syndrome, and other disorders.