Acne breakouts can affect your self image, and they are difficult to get rid of. While some factors that contribute to these problems are unavoidable, such as puberty, hormones, and genetics, there are some steps you can take to avoid the number and severity. By simply taking care of your face you can end up with beautiful skin.
- Wash your face. The most important thing you can do is keep your face clean. Wash it twice daily with a mild soap with benzoyl peroxide, which will help kill bacteria. However, be gentle, so you don't irritate your skin. Although scrubbing vigorously can make your skin temporarily smoother, it can actually cause microscopic cuts, allowing bacteria to enter your skin. Afterwards, use moisturizer to hydrate your skin and protect it from bacteria.
- Don't touch your face. Your hands have oil and bacteria that will clog your pores. You probably touch your face more than you realize, but you'll have to kick this habit. Definitely stop picking at your acne or popping pimples. This habit will help the bacteria spread around your face, exacerbating your problem.
- Clean everything that touches your face. Many breakouts are caused by bacteria on the items that frequently touch your face, such as cell phones or pillowcases. These items can harbor bacteria as well as excess makeup or hair products. When you use these items, this residue will transfer to your face, where they can clog your pores. One of the most basic remedies is to clean them frequently to avoid this problem.
- Don't cover up a breakout with makeup. When treating acne, don't cover it up with make up. Although you probably feel self conscious, try not to cover your face with makeup unless absolutely necessary. Covering up existing acne is making your breakout worse because the makeup does not allow your skin to breathe, and most makeup will actually cause acne. If you must wear makeup choose a quality brand with non-comodogenic products. Do not cake it on, but use it lightly, allowing your skin to breathe.
- Take care of yourself. The steps you should take daily to take care of the rest of your body also work on acne. Drink plenty of water, get plenty of rest, and try not to get stressed out. Stress can make breakouts worse. Also, try avoiding dairy products, as many people have found this to be a culprit.
By paying attention to the needs of your face and avoiding bacteria, you can reduce the severity of these problems, or even get rid of them completely, giving you the clear skin you've always wanted.