Biting your nails is a disgusting habit. Your hands pick up germs everywhere and putting them in your mouth to bite your nails brings those germs into your body. Plus your nails look ragged and unkempt when you bite them. If you want to stop biting your nails, try these steps.
Clear nail polish
Manicure kit or nail file
Soap and water
Topical product like No Bite
- Keep your fingernails clean. Wash your nails daily with soap and warm water. If you tend to collect dirt or grease under your nails, use a nail brush to keep them clean of dirt, bacteria and fungus.
- File your nails regularly or get manicures. A neat manicure will make you less likely to bite your nails. When your nails look neat and trim, you will want to keep them that way. Plus with regular filing, you won’t have those jagged edges to chew on.
- Make note of when you bite your nails. Are you biting because you are nervous or just to get rid of a chipped nail when no clippers are handy? For at least a week, write down what you were doing every time you were tempted to bite your nails.
- Remove the stressor. If nerves are causing your habit, you have two options. Remove the stressor or find a new habit. Is preparing for a test making you nervous or do you chew your nails when angry at your best friend? Find the source and do what you can to remove the stress from your life.
- Find a new habit. If removing the stress isn’t an option, find another habit for your nervous energy. Consider twirling your hair, tapping your pen or some other habit that doesn’t mess up your nails.
- Paint your nails with a clear coat or foul-tasting substance. Try a product like “Hard as Nails” or “No Bite,” which are topical products that you apply to your nails, similar to nail polish. These chemicals have a bitter taste and if you apply them daily, the harsh taste will help keep your fingers out of your mouth. If you can’t find the products, often a clear polish tastes bad and may keep you from biting.
- Cover your nails. Consider false nails or tips for a few months until the nails have time to grow out. Consider this as a last resort since acrylic nails can weaken the natural nail underneath.
Biting your nails can be a habit to ease nerves. If you are unhappy with the habit or just want better-looking nails, you’re in luck. You can stop biting your nails by following these steps.