Aviane 28 is a powerful contraceptive that is prescribed to millions of women to prevent pregnancy, treat acne and many other related hormone related issues. Some women take well to it, but there are cases wherein the side effects outweigh the benefits of the contraceptive. Some side effects include, nausea, bloating, rash, mood changes, changes in appetite and fatigue. If you are one of the many women who started taking Aviane 28 and later decided to stop taking it, here’s what you can do.
- Listen to your body. If your body rejects the contraceptive drug, then follow your instinct and opt for an alternative birth control plan. Doctors recommend that you give Aviane at least 2 months to give your body time to adjust to the changes. However, if you continue to experience the negative side effects and find you can’t or don’t want to handle it, stop it.
- Do your research. Before taking Aviane or any other medication, make sure you educate yourself with any side effects and expected results. It is your responsibility to inform yourself about anything that you will put into your body. Also, be honest with your doctor about any existing medical conditions or activities that you engage in that may affect the efficacy of the drug. Smoking and alcohol consumption, and even taking certain herbs may affect the efficacy of Aviane 28.
- Inform your doctor of your decision to stop taking Aviane. If you have other medical conditions, you may also need to stop taking Aviane since it may interact with other drugs, such as anti anxiety and sleep disorder medication and antibiotics such as rifampin.
- Throw away any unused packs of Aviane. Never give it to someone else even if another person is also taking Aviane 28. Flush it down the toilet.
- Make sure you have an alternative birth control plan set up. Either avoid sexual intercourse or use condoms in the interim. Be aware that some methods of birth control may only help prevent pregnancy, and not prevent against sexually transmitted diseases.
- There are no known withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking Aviane, although you must be careful to prevent pregnancies. Your monthly cycle should resume its normal course within a couple of months of getting of Aviane. You may experience some spotting. Any negative side effects should subside soon after going off the pill. However, if you continue to experience associated side effects months after going off the pill such as spotting, fatigue, nausea or other symptoms, consult your doctor immediately.
- Don’t restart taking Aviane after you have gone off it for a period of time, without taking to your doctor first. Don’t self medicate, especially since Aviane is a prescription birth control pill.
Aviane 28 is an effective contraceptive pill that has provided peace of mind for millions of American women. If however, you find that you prefer something else, talk to your doctor and discuss what options work best for you.