Beta blockers are a type of drugs that are mainly used in managing, treating and preventing heart attack, high blood pressure, headaches, tremors, anxiety and hypertension. This medication can effectively decrease your adrenaline and any kind of stress hormones resulting to a relaxed and worry-free state at all times. Most individuals who have heart problems often use beta blockers to keep their hearts at bay. If you have been taking this for quite some time, you cannot suddenly stop the intake or else, it might trigger an attack that can be fatal. However, there are ways that you can do to slowly stop beta blockers from your system but you have to be very careful when doing this! Read on to learn more.
- Consult your doctor. Make sure that you check on your physician first if it is all right to stop the intake of beta blockers. This step is extremely important especially if you have heart problems and the like. If you do have heart conditions, your doctor would probably discourage you on your plan on discontinuing the use of this medication. Remember, there is a reason why you are taking beta blockers and that reason can save your life. However, if you do not have any heart issues, chances are, you will be advised that you can stop using beta blockers.
- Slowly put your meds to a halt. It is crucial that you slowly discontinue beta blockers by lessening the doses in small amounts per usual intake. This will give your body a lot of time to adjust to the slowly missing drug. Stopping it abruptly can be very dangerous and can lead to fatal results.
- Check your blood pressure. Since beta blockers keep your blood pressure low and steady, it is important that you constantly monitor it during this process. Expect your blood pressure to increase when you discontinue the use of this drug. Daily do this step. If your blood pressure increased to 140/90, immediately call your doctor.
- Observe for some side effects. As you slowly decrease your dosage, you might feel a slight headache, light-headedness, nausea and a bit of anxiety. Do not worry, this is perfectly normal. However, if these side effects began to intensify, make sure that you quickly call your doctor. You might be needing some medications to help your body recover from the lack of beta blockers.
- Obtain some other remedies. If you are taking beta blockers to manage your anxiety problems, you can get some other kind of medications to treat your illness. You can go to any health store and opt for herbal remedy or you can call your psychiatrist and have a prescribed drug that can make you feel better.
Just follow these effective and simple steps. Be very consistent when taking these steps to ensure the best results. This could take time, so be very patient. It is for your own good. If you do decide to drink this med again, make sure that you consult your doctor first before popping these pills up in your mouth. You need to know if it is still safe for you to take it.