Hip hop dancing is one of the most popular dances nowadays, especially among teenagers. You can now find may instructional videos teaching people how to dance hip hop. If you own such a DVD, keep in mind to do some stretching exercises before your dance routine. Here are some stretches that you can do:
- With your feet a shoulder width apart and your arms hanging loosely on the side, relax your chin and bring it down to chest level. Hold this position for about 10 seconds. Remember to do long, deep breathes as you do this pose.
- Slowly bring your head up and reach backwards. Keep your mouth closed so you will feel the stretch in your neck and underneath your chin. Breathe through your nose in the ten seconds that you hold this pose.
- From the back, gently bring your head to the left side. You will feel the stretch the in the right side of your neck. After ten seconds, move your neck to the right side and let it rest there for ten seconds. This time you will feel the stretch in the left side of your neck. After this, slowly lift your head and bring it to a normal position.
- Bring your right arm to the left side by crossing it across your chest. Pull your right arm by using your left arm hold it in place. You will feel the stretch in your upper right arm and right shoulder. Hold this position for 10 seconds before doing the stretch in your left arm.
- Stand upright and place your hands on your hip. Lean back on your right and hold this position for ten seconds all the while taking long deep breaths. Return to the upright position and then lean back on your left side. Stay on this position for ten seconds before moving back into your original position. This exercise will stretch the muscles on the side of your abdomen.
- Stand with your feet several feet apart, with your toes pointing forward. Bend your right leg and lean on it. You can support yourself by placing your hands on your hips or clasping your right knee. Maintain this pose for ten seconds before doing the same thing on your other leg. Feel the your thigh muscles stretching.
- Stand upright with your feet close together. Step your right foot forward and lift your foot in such a way that only your heel is touching the floor. Bend your left leg and use both of your hands to clasp your left knee. Stay in this position for ten seconds before doing the same thing on the left leg.
- Stand up with a straight spine and keep your hands on your hips. Lift your right foot a few inches from the floor and rotate your foot twice in the direction of the clock and twice in the opposite direction. Repeat the same movements on your left foot.
Remember to stretch before your hip hop dance routine to keep the injuries at bay.