Before you try to treat that fat lip on your own, consider first if you need immediate medical attention. Injury on the lips or a small portion in the mouth is okay for home remedies. But if your fat lip has also affected your gums and teeth, then you must consider getting medical help. This is a more serious fat lip case that needs more serious treatment.
For the meantime, here are the things you can do to treat that fat lip:
- Saline water. Add a few drops of saline solution to cool tap water. Gargle using that mixture to help heal the trauma inside your mouth. If you don't have saline solution, you can use some salt combined with warm water. This mixture will give a stinging feeling when you gargle. But the pain is sure worth the remedy because salt has natural antiseptic properties.
- Grapefruit seed extract. A few drops of this added to water is the perfect solution for washing that fat lip. The grapefruit seed extract has disinfectant properties that help in faster wound healing.
- Honey remedy. Mix some honey with a few amount of butter. Put the mixture on the affected area to speed up the healing. You can also use castor oil as replacement to butter. Also, try to mix honey with some powdered gooseberry bark. Apply the paste on your lips for effective fat lip treatment.
- Ice packs. Wrap some ice cubes with clean cloth. Place that over the fat lips for about three minutes. Do this about three times everyday and remember, never put the ice packs on the lips longer than three minutes. Too much exposure to ice might only make your condition worse.
- Tea tree oil and aloe vera. Dilute the tea tree oil with water and combine some amount with aloe vera. Put some mixture on your lips. This will be very helpful for relieving minor scratches.
- Turmeric powder. Mix a pinch of this powder with a teaspoon glycerin. Apply the mixture on your lips and enjoy the benefits of turmeric's antiseptic properties that can aid in faster healing.
- Oil treatment. Various oils can help in treating fat lip. Vitamin E oil, when put on the affected lip, can give you relief. Arnica oil used the same way as the Vitamin E oil can give the same effect. Other oils you can use for fat lip treatment are pumpkin seed oil, sunflower oil, olive oil, and coconut oil. You may combine some drops of peppermint or lavender essential oil to the mentioned vegetable oils for more effective oil treatment.
- Petroleum jelly. More than giving moisture to the lips, putting petroleum jelly on the fat lips will also kill the infection and help seal the cuts. You may use Vaseline in replacement to petroleum jelly.
A fat lip can be treated within a day or two if it's not that serious. But if your fat lip won't be treated after a week, you better visit your doctor immediately. There must be some other reasons why your wound is not healing as fast as it should be.