Muscle spasms are more commonly known as muscle cramps. A muscle spasm or cramps is a sudden contraction of the muscles. One, it is involuntary, meaning you cannot start, control nor stop it. Two, it is painful and could last from a few seconds to a few minutes. A spasm is characterized by a hardening-sensation among the muscles, usually those of the lower leg, abdomen, and arms.
There are several reasons why these spasms occur. One is stressing out the muscles too much. Your muscles have probably had an overdose of stretching, pulling and exercise. Successive extreme physical engagements without appropriate rest within proper intervals could also cause muscles spasm. On the extreme opposite, too much inactivity could also result in the same effect. An example is when one stays in a single position, like sitting, for a long period of time without attempts of moving around every now and then. For muscles spasm on the legs, wearing the inappropriate footwear could be another culprit. In the cases mentioned, the nerves are made too tense that blood circulation becomes abnormal and your muscles harden.
In terms of diet, lack of magnesium and calcium is part of the causes of muscles spasms. The lack of essential minerals disables the body to distribute enough nutrients for the muscles to function properly. Some existing medical conditions are also part of the causes for spasms. Irritable bowel syndrome or stomach flu leads to spasms in the abdomen.
The numerous causes indicate numerous remedies or quick relief as well.
- Moderation. For the kind of spasm caused by unreasonably excessive physical activities, moderation is the solution. Know how much exercise you really need and know when to give it a rest. Even robots probably are given ample time to rest and recover from their work.
- Stretching. When you are dealing with frequent dormancy or inactivity on the other hand, stretching maybe a good way to subside the spasms. Once every few minutes, opt to stand up and walk around a little bit. Coffee and comfort room breaks are probably for this particular purpose. You could also do the literal stretching of your arms or legs within the comfort of your seat.
- Replacing footwear. If you find out that the footwear is the source of the spasm, immediately find another pair that suits its purpose. If you buy footwear, do not just consider the low price. The very important thing is that you know it would not injure your feet and allow spasms to occur often. Do not sacrifice the quality over the price. Also, match your footwear to your activity. Do not wear slippers for jogging or sneakers for wall climbing.
- Watching your diet. The calcium-magnesium deficiency would tell you to add more of those minerals to your diet. Rich sources of these minerals are mostly dairy products like milk, cheese, yogurt, and soya drinks. Also remember to include sesame seeds, nuts, white bread and calcium-fortified cereals, and orange juice.
- Existing illness. And lastly, for those experiencing spasms due to existing medical illness like irritable bowel movement (IBM) or other stomach illnesses, it is a must to see your doctor to find out how to cure this. It is important to know the root cause and treat the results one by one.
If spasms continue to occur and more frequently even after following the remedies, it would be best to see your physician.