A number of skin-related diseases can be treated naturally. One proof is by using herbal remedies, such as garlic, as treatment for scabies—a transmissible skin infection resulting from infested itch mite in the skin. The symptoms of this skin condition are continuous itching usually at night and small red blisters resembling pimples. In adults, it is usually found in the armpits, around the genital area, or on the soles of the feet while in children, scabies can be found in the scalp, neck, and palms.
Garlic is one of the safe and effective remedies that can help you treat scabies. It contains allicin, a compound that makes it anti-fungal, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-parasitic. It is therefore a powerful treatment for the skin infection.
Here are the steps on how the treatment using garlic is done.
- Collect the things you'll need. Prepare fresh cloves of garlic, a knife, olive oil, teaspoon, cotton buds, and a small container.
- Use the knife to separate garlic bulb from the cloves. Peel off the cloves and separate them from each other. Put them in a clean plate or container.
- Press the garlic cloves using a garlic press. Press them one at a time. If garlic press is unavailable, mince the garlic using a sharp, clean knife. Place it in the small container and set aside.
- Prepare the olive oil. Add a teaspoon of olive oil into the small container with the garlic and mix with the use of a stirrer. Your garlic and olive oil mixture will serve as your anti-bacterial treatment. You may need to dilute the mixture if you still find it harsh for you skin. You can add up another teaspoon of olive oil for dilution.
- Dip a cotton bud into the mixture and try applying it on a small area of your infected skin. Extend the application further until the full scabies rashes have been treated with the mixture. Cover the infected area with a plastic wrap and leave it for about an hour. As an alternative instead of using cotton buds, you can use a clean towel and apply the mixture directly to the infected area.
- Apply the mixture twice on a daily basis. Change the mixture by making a new one, if necessary. Just follow steps 1 to 4.
- Try to rub garlic directly on the scabies rash. Peel off cloves of garlic, slice it in half and rub it gently on the infected area. Do the rubbing in circular motions and make sure to fully rub the infected area. Repeat the process for a couple of times everyday until it takes effect.
- Visit a medical expert if none of these works well for you. Proper diagnosis is necessary so that you'll be able to treat the skin condition properly.
Using garlic as treatment for scabies is just one of those popular natural remedies. While chemical-based treatments work well in treating scabies, natural remedies, like garlic, neem tree leaf, and aloe vera, among others, can also be as effective. You must not however choose these natural treatments over prescriptions of medical experts for they do not intend to change proper medical treatments.