If you're feeling pain more than your usual sore throat you might be experiencing strep throat. From the word streptococcus, strep throat generally is an infection of these bacteria that causes swelling and tenderness within the neck area. The sensation brought about by the swelling of the throat is often described stabbing pains.
Strep throat could post a serious threat such as rheumatic heart disease if left untreated. So basically it's better to start of the treatment process in the early stages before it can get as serious as that. To help you know what to do, here's a list on how to treat your strep throat.
- Seek doctor's advice. Initially a strep culture is done to verify the disease. Once deemed that this is the cause, doctors may then prescribe necessary antibiotics. It is then your responsibility to complete and stick to the treatment regime that usually runs for 10 days. This helps to prevent relapses as well as further development of the disease. If the pain is too much to bear you can opt to ask prescription for pain medication.
- Quarantine. In order to prevent the spread of disease it is best to quarantine your personal belongings that may have contact with your mouth. Have a separate set of utensils, dishes and even keep your brush on a different container. Having this disease is highly contagious so it's best to be cautious. You are only infected before and during the 10 day medication regime. Once completed and cleared from infection you can lift the quarantine immediately.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Dehydration is one problem caused by strep throat so be sure to drink plenty of fluids to replenish your body. It can also aid you in swallowing your food as it lubricates your throat. It would be more advisable to have electrolyte enriched drinks to help maintain balance in your system. There are commercially available drinks in the market that indicates their electrolyte contents so be sure to check the label.
- Don't forget to eat. Though most people having this disease lose their appetite, it is still best if you have something to fill your stomach. Prepare soups that are low in sodium for your diet regime. This would not irritate your tonsils the way solid food does.
- Salt water rinse. Prepare about 1/3 cup of lukewarm water and add a pinch of salt to prepare the mixture. You can gargle with solution to soothe pain from strep throat. This helps you manually flush the bacteria out of your mouth. You have to do it at least 2-3 times a day to achieve the best results.
- Have a break. Your energy would be greatly decreased due to the lack of appetite brought about your swollen throat. Have an ample time for rest during the stretch of the disease to conserve your energy. Sleep and let your body recover that speeds up the healing process.
Not only did you prevent the disease to move to an untoward development, now you can also be free from any pain caused by strep throat.