Vicodin is an opiate drug that is prescribed to treat severe pain. It is commonly known that prolonged use of opiates can lead to substantial dependence. If discontinued, withdrawal symptoms happen. A drug combination of paracetamol and hydrocodone is commonly ordered as a drug to relieve pain. You may have heard of its well-known name—Vicodin. Paracetamol in Vicodin is the pain-killing component and hydrocodone in Vicodin works as a sedative. In the U.S., Vicodin is obtainable only through prescription. It is categorized as a Schedule III drug, which means that has a legal medical use and it is not as addictive as Schedule I and II drugs. Because of its addictive properties, the government regulates it. Vicodin has a high potential of psychological addiction and low to moderate potential of bodily dependence.
There are over the counter drugs for treating Vicodin addiction. They help in the treatment but are more effective when used with the following suggestions:
- Eat tasteless foods and drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration. If diarrhea and vomiting are experienced, sucking ice chips is helpful.
- Daily exercise for 30-45 minutes will ease the irritability and restlessness that occurs during opiate withdrawal and it helps in the production of endorphins.
- Long-term addicts can participate in treatment programs of fellow addicts as they can counsel the patient on how to handle their illness.
- Rapid detox treatment is a hospital procedure to clear or detoxify the body from those drugs that cause opiate dependency or addiction. The procedure is under the supervision and care of a physician while under anesthesia.
Vicodin dependence is a very acute addiction. There are times when it becomes fatal. It is destructive to the patient’s emotional, physical, and mental well-being. However, there is always a road to recovery for such patients.
- Physical symptoms. Diarrhea and nausea are common effects of withdrawal. Peppermint and ginger are effective remedies for nausea as well as antihistamines. Imodium is effective for diarrhea and cramping of the intestines. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen are effective for muscle and joint pains.
- Psychological symptoms. Insomnia and anxiety can be relaxed by valerian root, which is noted for its calming effects. Over the counter medications include drugs containing doxylamine succinate, which helps ease insomnia. Depression is also a vicodin withdrawal symptom. Prozac and Zoloft are effective for depression.
Addiction to Vicodin can begin in numerous places, but the most frequent place that it starts is after operative surgical treatment. After a surgical procedure, the patient is given Vicodin because it is a great painkiller. After the patient is ordered Vicodin he will use it as a prescribed medicine. That is where the problem lies.
Vicodin addiction is common in the US because it can be more accessible than other drugs. Following the suggestions above can treat it and avoiding prolonged use of any drug containing paracetamol and hydrocodone. The safest move is to consult a doctor of any illness and take only the medication he prescribed.