Schizophrenia is a disorder that affects only one per cent of an entire population. Indications of this mental illness include having delusions, hallucinations and senseless ramblings from the person affected. Those who suffer from it cannot readily separate fantasy from objective reality. No one knows yet what causes schizophrenia, but developments show that it is not alone amongst the many mental disorders. Enter schizoaffective disorder.
Schizoaffective disorder is a merging of schizophrenia and affective mood symptoms. Just as its forerunner, it involves delusions characterized by having radical and almost fantastical beliefs. The person suffering from it also sees things that are not there. Moods change almost suddenly and bipolarity manifests. Studies point to birth complications and other brain imbalances as causes of this disorder. Here are some tips that may help understand schizoaffective disorder should you know someone who might be suffering from it.
- Psychosis has a lot to do with schizoaffective disorder. Not having the judgment to tell what is real and what is not is a part of this psychosis. Hallucinations and delusions are forever present and in one way or another, the things that the sufferer sees scare him. The person draws himself away from life, meaning he has not the energy to interact with anyone. The emotions that they exhibit are usually those of loneliness and lack of hope. They have manic and depressive symptoms. Due to this, they always think of suicide and other forms of their own death.
- Diagnosing for a person needs the expertise of a mental health specialist. This is because, diagnosing for schizophrenic affective disorder may prove to be confusing. Other mental illnesses may have the same markers.
- A lot of medication is necessary for the disorder's treatment. It may take combinations of various. According to studies, psychotherapy may solve the reoccurring drastic mood changes.
- Anti-psychotics may help in decreasing the incidences of hallucinations and delusions. On the other hand, anti-depressants may help ridding the sufferer of depression and altogether eliminates fatigue.
- Be wary of side effects. While these are ready remedies, they cannot promise good side effects. From dry mouth to muscle spasms, a person affected with schizophrenic affective disorder may suffer from these side effects. The sufferer may become restless and have problems with sexual performance. Nevertheless, take the necessary steps even if it means to endure the unpleasant. These side effects are hard to eliminate. They come with the package. If the side effects persist while the problem still exists, then, working with a doctor needs reinforcement.
A person who suffers from schizoaffective disorder goes through a great deal of things every day. It is important for those who are around him to take measures to understand him.
The opinion of a specialist counts. You cannot assume that a person is a sufferer of schizoaffective disorder without an expert's assessment. Remember, other mental illnesses may share the same symptoms as the shizoaffective disorder. With wrong diagnosis, wrong medication will follow. Apart from stating the nature of such a mental illness, the expert must also go back to the individual's personal history as they should tap into the mind so he may also tell how to approach the sufferer.