It's getting late and you can't sleep again. You know that it's your insomnia taking over your good night. What will you do? Take some sleeping pills again? That will just worsen your sleep disorders. If you want to stop having sleepless nights, there's no better way out but to take sleep medications and treatment for insomnia. Don't worry because you are not alone in this battle. In fact, 64 million Americans suffer from this sleep disorder, too.
Treating insomnia through sleep medication can be your fastest way out. Here are some helpful drugs for insomnia:
- Benzodiazepine drugs. These are the most commonly used prescription drugs for sleep disorders. Some particular drugs in this group are the flunitrazepam, temazepam, flurazepam, triazolam, quazipam, and nitrazepam. Every benzodiazepine drug can be effective but constant use causes physical dependence, tolerance, and severe withdrawal symptoms.
- Non-benzodiazepine drugs. Some say that these prescription drugs are better sleep medications than benzodiazepine. They also have fewer side effects. However, these drugs can also cause physical and psychological dependence.
- Anti-depressant drugs. Particular drugs like amitriptyline, trazodone, doxepine, and mirtazapine are usually used to treat insomnia because of their sedative effect. But these drugs can worsen sleep disorders when used in the long term.
- Anti-histamines. The best thing about these sleeping aids is that you can buy them over the counter. But frequent use of these drugs may weaken their effects which then may lead you to increased dosage. Withdrawal symptoms can be difficult also.
- Other sleep medications. Drugs such as melatonin and atypical antipsychotics are used for insomnia as well. There are also herbs like cannabis, valerian, lavender, chamomile, and hops that are used for treating insomnia.
It is best that you consult doctors and have more information before taking any chemical sleeping aids.
Drugless treatments for insomnia. Using drugless treatments will be your best choice if you don't want to suffer side effects.
- Undergoing cognitive therapy is a good way to start other insomnia therapies. With this, your sleep disorder can be treated by giving you the facts about insomnia misconceptions. You'll learn the reasons why popular beliefs about insomnia are just plain misconceptions. This will just be a piece of cake if you are open-minded. You can read some articles or other information about the causes of insomnia misconceptions.
- Changing your sleep hygiene is a good treatment for insomnia as well. Start with your personal habits to achieve this. For instance, you can avoid taking a nap during the day, drinking caffeinated products, taking alcohol 4 hours before sleeping, and eating spicy and sweet food.
- Other sleep tips can help you sleep better also. Exercising regularly promotes better body function that can help you to sleep better. A popular exercise for insomnia is yoga. There are special yoga classes for people suffering insomnia. Not only your physical, but also your mental state will be exercised and relaxed through yoga.
- Another one of the many effective sleep tips is having a comfortable sleeping environment. Simple things like minimized noise, dimmer light, and firmer mattress are your way to sleep better.
Don't ever think of insomnia as a simple sleeping disorder. Your physical and mental health can be at risk without enough sleep. So as early as today, develop your sense of will to cure your insomnia.