Like any other types of cancer, colon cancer can bring physical, emotional and financial difficulties to the patient and his family. It is important that throughout this whole ordeal, everyone supports each other and makes good decisions on how to approach all aspects such as treatments, management of the condition, and finances. Colon cancer takes years of management, including detection, prognosis, and treatment.
Prognosis for colon cancer includes the following:
- People over 50 yeas old and those who are in their 40s and having family history of this illness are advised to undergo colon cancer screening. Screening would include the following procedures: yearly fecal occult blood tests; flexible sigmoidoscopy every 5 years along with the fecal occult blood tests as well; a double-contrast barium enema test every 5-10 years; and colonoscopy tests every 10 years. Colonoscopy is still the most reliable test when it comes to identifying colon polyps and tumors.
- Those who have been found to have polyps in their colons should have their polyps immediately removed. Succeeding monitoring should then follow to check the status to ensure that polyps have not been re-introduced. Colonoscopy should be done every 1 to 2 years especially if the disease has been present for 7 to 8 years already.
To avoid all the challenges that go along with this illness, here are some ways on how to prevent colon cancer:
- Early detection is still one of the best ways to prevent any kind of cancer from developing. Regular consultation and check-up for colon cancer which includes tests for fetal occult blood, sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy, and polyp removal can significantly decrease the chances of developing into later colon cancer stages.
- Quit smoking. Apart from lung cancer, smoking has chemicals that can contribute to the development of colon cancer. Quitting smoking decreases the chance of having colon cancer.
- Eat foods rich in folic acid. It has been noted to be one of the vitamins that can deter the growth of colon cancer.
- Exercise. Aside from improved overall emotional and physical health, daily exercise keeps your body resistant and in topmost condition against diseases and illnesses.
- Have a regular and sufficient intake of fruits and vegetables. They supply and maintain your body’s need for nutrients. Fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamins and minerals that can repair damaged cells and help enhance the health of your body in general. Keeping toxins out and promoting healthy cell renewal can help avoid the development of cancer.
It is important that as soon as you feel any of the colon cancer symptoms, consult your doctor for proper colon cancer diagnosis. If colon cancer treatments could not fully make you recover, colon cancer surgery may be done. Prevention and having a healthy lifestyle can deter not just colon cancer, but other life-threatening illnesses as well. Seek professional medical advice as soon as possible to discourage the further development of the cancer. Remember, time is a very crucial element in saving yourself and the people you love when it comes to health issues.