During physical examinations, physicians usually ask if there is a member of your family that has a history of hypertension, high cholesterol, and heart failure. More often than not, some people try to hide the real score from our doctor so as to avoid a series of analyses and tests. It is also a reason why at the end of the day, treatment for heart failure is already too late and at the stage where some may need to spend big bucks for medications.
Below are suggestions on how to recognize congestive heart failure symptoms.
- If you are used to running kilometers and miles, then, suddenly a short walk brings you to shortness of breath and a feeling of fatigue, you might need to ask yourself if you are just stressed out, or better yet, ask for a medical opinion. This might lead to a more serious problem later on, so it is better to prevent it the soonest. Be wary too if you are awakened at night and find yourself out of breath.
- Once in a while, check your blood pressure. In doing so, be sure that you are properly rested and your heartbeat is at a normal pace so that it would not affect the readings.
- Inflammation of the ankles and legs or abdomen is also an indication of congestive heart failure, since the body is congested with fluid. Try to limit your salt and fluid intake and see if your ankles, legs, and abdomen are still swollen. If symptoms refuse to go away, then there is a big possibility that you are suffering from a heart ailment.
- Customarily, people with congestive heart failure are having difficulty lying flat in bed, unless they are not really comfortable with the position.
- Dizziness, fainting incidents, and signs of low energy are the usual symptoms of heart failure.
- If someone in your family is treated for diabetes, heart attack, or hypertension, it is better to consult your physician and be honest with him so that he could give you the correct diagnosis for your illness. Effective diagnostic examinations include ECG or electrocardiogram, chest x-ray, and echocardiogram.
ECGs and X-rays help in recognizing the likelihood of previous heart attacks or fluid around the lungs. Echocardiogram, on the other hand, is a type of ultrasound that checks the image of the heart muscle, valve structures, and blood flow patterns. If no results were found in an ECG and X-ray, an echocardiogram is the best option in identifying or analyzing if the heart is defenseless.
Treatment for this kind of sickness may vary on patient's age and gender. The above symptoms don't mean that you have acquired the syndrome. The best system, still, is to seek advice from your physician or your cardiologist. Most of all live a healthy lifestyle. If the findings say that you have congestive heart failure or there is a possibility of heart attack, do not get upset. Instead, find ways to prevent or cure the ailment, since everyday there are new discoveries that can help you live life to the fullest.