Assistive technology is a term used for the devices and technology that are provided for people with disabilities. Assistive technology is used to promote the independence of people with disabilities. It gives them the chance to do the things that they could not do before. Aside from giving people with disabilities independence, assistive technology also improves their quality of life. They are able to function just as other people do and it lessens their need to depend on someone.
Here are some of the most helpful assistive technologies that are used today:
- Communication aids. Communication aids are devices that are especially made to support people who have speech or writing disabilities. There are two kinds of communication aids. The first are the speech and augmentative communication devices. These are the tools that are used for communicating ideas, feelings and needs through electronic devices. Some of the examples include light pointers, speech synthesizers for voice technology and boards. The second are the writing and typing aids. These tools are used to relay messages. Some examples are typewriters, Braille devices and word completion software.
- Vision and reading aids. These are devices and products that are designed to help the visually impaired and the blind to communicate or to read. Some examples are talking watches, Braille transcriptions of texts or screen magnifiers. These tools help the visually impaired read with large text and the blind to read with their fingers through Braille.
- Learning aids. These tools are adaptive technology software that focus on sharpening various skills of people with disabilities. Some of the subjects that these learning aids focus on are memory skills, word processing skills, problem solving and decision making.
- Leisure aids. These products are the ones that aid people with disabilities to join social events. Some examples of assistive technology leisure aids are sports equipment that is modified and audio for movies. There are three main sub categories under leisure aids. These are sports aids, toys and games and travel aids.
- Prosthetics. These are assistive technology items that can replace missing limbs. These are supports, splints and braces. Prosthetics can sometimes make a disabled person function as well as a person with complete limbs. Wearing prosthetics can help them get jobs and perform in other activities.
- Mobility aids. Mobility aids are one of the most popular type of assistive technology that we often see. Mobility aids are devices that help people with disabilities move around by themselves. Some of the resources that are included under mobility aids are wheelchairs, walking canes, walkers, ramps and strollers.
These are some of the best known assistive technology tools that are used today. These assistive technology devices help people with disabilities fit in with the people surrounding them. They are able to participate in different activities just as other people do. Assistive technology also breaks down the barrier between people with disabilities and people without disabilities. This provides a more harmonious environment for every individual.