There are various procedures done at a dental clinic to help you maintain your teeth and prevent oral problems. Today's dental procedures do not come cheap especially since treatments are done with state-of-the-art equipment and materials, not to mention fees paid to dentists for their expertise. For this reason, dental insurance allows you to have regular appointments with your dentist without fearing the cost. Dental insurance plans allow you and your family to afford expensive dental care to keep your teeth sound and healthy. While insurance plans vary in dental coverage and cost, many dental insurance providers typically cover the following procedures.
- Regular oral prophylaxis or dental cleaning. Dental insurance providers usually cover professional cleaning every six months. Oral prophylaxis means removing tartar, bacterial plaques and stains to prevent oral disease. This is done by scaling and polishing using dental equipment. Regular visits to your dentist can prevent decay and other oral problems.
- Regular check-ups. To keep teeth and gums in good condition and detect likely problems, regular appointments with your dentist are a necessity. Most dental insurance plans include this benefit.
- Fillings and crowns. Your teeth may have formed cavities due to decay. In order to treat them and protect the blood vessels and nerves inside your teeth, fillings are packed in. Fillings and crowns also apply to chipped and brittle teeth. The procedure and materials involved are usually expensive that is why having a dental insurance that covers this particular dental work is a great help.
- Emergency tooth replacement. In case you lose a tooth in an injury or accident, your dental insurance plan may cover you for emergency tooth replacement. A dental insurance plan that covers this treatment is a huge investment as the procedure is quite costly.
- Dental x-rays. To check oral problems such as dental injuries, damage to the bones and gums, tooth decay, etc. dental x-rays are used. This procedure, which is also rather expensive, helps distinguish and treat problems early if some symptoms exist. A dental x-ray provides a thorough examination of the condition of teeth and is essential prior to treatment of large cavities, surgery, tooth extraction and dental implants.
- Non-cosmetic surgery. Some dental cases need surgical treatment for extraction of teeth and acute tooth and gum conditions. It would be a great relief to find this treatment covered under your dental insurance plan as this is typically expensive. Cosmetic surgery, however, is usually not covered by dental insurance plans as the procedure is basically for enhancing the beauty or appearance of a person.
If you'd like to know which insurance company covers the most dental procedures, visit leading insurance plans such as Metlife, Guardian, Ameritas and Delta. These companies offer specialized individual and group insurance. Discount dental plans are also provided by several insurance providers thus when choosing a dental insurance plan, study the differences carefully to find the one with the most dental coverage for the most reasonable cost.