Silver dollars are another word for dollar coins. They are a term used for a white metal coin in the US with a value of one dollar. They can be made out of gold, silver and certain types of base metal. They were first introduced in 1794 due to the founding of the Coinage Act of 1792.
There are several types of silver dollar on the market. The first silver dollar design features flowing hair, a draped bust, a heraldic eagle and a small eagle. The authentic silver dollars from this era have a very high value. The 1804 silver dollar is one of the most sought after items for coin collectors. It is considered the rarest of all the American coins. The primary reason why 1804 silver dollar coins were produced was to become a gift to Asian leaders in exchange for trade relations.
- The Seated Liberty silver dollar is one of the most largely produced silver dollars in the US. It circulated between 1836 and 1873. The gold dollar coin is the smallest coin produced in the US. It began its circulation in 1849 and ended in 1889.
- The trade dollar circulated between 1873 and 1885. It is mainly used for trading purposes. It is a large hit in Asian countries like China and Japan.
- The Morgan dollar started its circulation in 1878. It was designed by George Morgan. A mint condition Morgan dollar can be sold for around $100,000.
- The Peace dollar was created to honor the peace treaty that ended World War I. It was created in 1921 and designed by Anthony de Francisci.
- The Eisenhower dollar circulated in the US between 1971 and 1978. Its design showed the profile of President Eisenhower and the badge used in the Apollo 11 mission.
- The Anthony dollar circulated from 1979 to 1981. It showed the profile of Susan B. Anthony, the first woman ever represented in US coinage.
- The Sacagawea dollar is one of the Native American series coinages of America. Its production started in 2000. Other designs include Three Sisters, which portrays three Native American women sowing seeds.
- The Presidential Dollar coin is the newest addition to the US silver dollar collections. It began its circulation in 2007 in commemoration of the former US presidents.
Here are some of the trusted American Silver Dollar dealers.
- Silver Eagle Coin Company is one of the respected names in coin dealership. Their coin prices are very affordable, not to mention their high quality. They have a variety of coins available including the latest 2009 Silver Eagles.
- Ebay.com is a website that sells a wide array of items including silver dollar coins. Here, you can find rare dollar coins of different kinds in a reasonable price range.
- Pete’s Collectibles is a trusted coin dealer that started in 1986. He started his collection when he was still a boy. His collections include Morgan, Peace and Silver Eagle dollar coins.
The popularity of Silver dollars also paved the way to the construction of Silver Dollar Speedway in California. It is a racing circuit that hosts championships for street stocks, dirt modifiers and other raceway divisions.
There are a lot of people selling perfect copies of authentic silver dollars to collectors. Therefore, buying only from known coin dealers is highly recommended. Collecting dollar coins can be a great hobby and at the same time, a very good investment.