Rhinestones are gems that imitate the qualities of a diamond. Some are made of rock crystals. Some are made of glass. And still some are made of acrylic. One of the most popular rhinestones to date is the Swarovski crystal.
Rhinestones are being widely used in our society today. As jewelries, they can be quite appealing. But one of the most popular uses of rhinestones now is attaching it to sheets, fabric and pieces of clothing to make the finished product more beautiful and pleasing to the eyes.
Here are the instructions on how to attach rhinestones to fabric.
- Gluing rhinestones. Rhinestones may be attached to a fabric by putting glue underneath these pieces of jewelry. There are different kinds of glue which are available in the market right now. You must, however, use the glue which is really intended for attaching rhinestones to textile to get the best results. The E6000 and the Gem-Tac are just a few of the most famous kinds of glue for this work.
- You can make use of a tool called the Q-tip to pat glue on the area of the material where you want to place the rhinestone. Then use a pair of tweezers to put the rhinestones on the area dabbed with glue. Allow the glue to dry for a few hours.
- Hot-fix rhinestones. Rhinestones for this purpose have glue on the back of the stones that are heat sensitive. Using a household flat iron on low heat, press the iron on the rhinestone placed on top of the cloth or fabric. Be sure to place a thin cloth on top of the rhinestone before pressing the iron.
- It will take about one minute for the glue to melt and attach to the fabric. You should allow it to cool completely once this is done. Another option is to get a hot-fix setting tool. You can check out the top producers of this tool like Bejeweler and Kandi Kane.
- Clamping Rhinestones. This method is being used for garments that require dry-cleaning and for those rhinestones that are too big to be glued. There are two types of settings in clamping: the Tiffany and the Rim.
- Tiffany settings start from the backside and crimped on the front of the garment. On the other hand, Rim settings should be positioned on the facade of the textile and crimped on the backside of the cloth. You are going to need a tool called the rhinestone setter for this particular method.
- Sewing Rhinestones. Some rhinestones that are flat have holes in them. These rhinestones may be put on clothes and garments the old-fashioned way of sewing. The advantage of using this method is that you can easily remove the rhinestones and move them to a different location or on a different fabric. The disadvantage of this method, however, is that it takes more time to accomplish the task.
Whatever method you choose, one thing is for sure. Your garments will surely look astounding by adding these colorful rhinestones with beautiful designs to your clothing. It can also be a way of expression when you design your own clothes and garments.