There are many ways to enhance your natural abilities as a creative writer. Here are 7 of the best tips to get you started:
- Write every day. Forming a daily writing habit is essential in being able to write as freely as you sleep and breathe. Start with just 15 minutes set aside each day to write, and extend this as you strengthen the habit. It really is the single most powerful habit you can adopt for your creative writing.
- Recognise your strengths. It’s easy for us to overlook our own abilities and strengths, simply because we live with ourselves day in and day out. Make a list of all your creative strengths, then ask what a close friend of yours would say if they were asked what your creative strengths were. You’ll be amazed at how much you can come up with.
- Celebrate successes. Each time you write, it’s a success. The biggest challenge for any writer is showing up consistently to the page, so when you do, acknowledge that as the vital step in your creative writing life that it is, and celebrate, even if in a small way.
- Write what you enjoy writing. Don’t drown in a sea of “shoulds” with your writing! Instead, follow your passions and write about the things you’re naturally drawn to write about, in the ways that feel most comfortable and “right” for you.
- Capture your ideas. If it feels like you don’t have enough creative ideas to explore, it’s more than likely that you’re simply not recording them. Start using an ideas book (simply a pocket notebook you keep with you) and jot down ideas as they occur. The more you use it, the more easily ideas will flow to you in all kinds of situations.
- Find your style by experimenting. Finding your own style in writing takes time, and usually begins with experimenting with other styles you enjoy reading. It’s like trying on a variety of pairs of shoes until you start to narrow down the types you find to be the most comfortable and the most “you.” It won’t happen overnight, so be patient and enjoy your writing as you explore.
- Accept the writer’s journey. Being a creative writer is not a single end point destination. It’s a way of being, a way of thinking, seeing, experiencing. So don’t expect one day to wake up and say, “Finally, I’m a writer!” You’re a writer today, right here, right now, because you show up and write. Accept that, embrace that, ENJOY that way of being.
Follow these 7 tips and you'll enhance your creative writing no end. Pick one and get started today!
Want to find out how more about how to unlock the creative writer in you? Get your FREE 5 part creative writing ecourse at http://www.YouAreACreativeWriter.com.