Do you have a reputation for being late all the time? If you answer yes, you are not alone. There are many people who have this problem, but it can be eliminated. You can improve this habit by employing effective time management skills and behavior modification.
- Review estimation strategies, if you are usually late by fifteen minutes adjust your estimation time an extra fifteen minutes. This might involve reducing activities that you perform prior to your destination such as shower time or getting up earlier. Keep track of your time; review the actual time it took to arrive at your desired destination to the allotted estimation time. Tracking time is beneficial in order to have the greatest impact.
- Inability to decline additional tasks might be the reason that causes tardiness, you should implement decline strategies. This can be achieved by politely turning down any additional task, and offering to perform the task another time. Most people would understand you have additional obligations, and it won’t be an issue.
- Prepare the night before, lay out your clothing, purse and other items that you need to use the next day. This saves you time because if you have everything ready, you can grab the items and leave.
- It is important to be conscious of the time; you can alter your time by adding an extra five to ten minutes without factoring those additional minutes in your time estimation. This strategy should be used on all the clocks in the home including the lap top.
- Fill the gas tank the night before, don’t wait until your gas tank is low and then stop in the morning to refill. This will add extra time to your commute, and it can add unnecessary stress if you already have a tardy problem.
- Implement a plan to arrive at all appointments ten to fifteen minutes early, this strategy will help you establish a pattern. If your appointment is 10:00, why not set a goal to arrive at 9:45? By arriving early, it means you have extra time that you can read or perform other leisure interest. This strategy is a win-win situation not only for you but for the people around you. You will develop a reputation as a dependable person.
- Schedule appointments during non peak hours, a trip that normally takes twenty minutes can take up to fifteen additional minutes during rush hours. Be aware of rush hour times in your area, and avoid scheduling any appointments during those times. For example, if rush hour traffic is from 7:00 Am to 9:00 Am, you would schedule your appointments after 9:00 Am.
- Do you check your emails prior to your appointment; this can be a time stealer. You might want to take five minutes to read your email, but after reading one email you might be tempted to read another. In order to avoid this problem, do not read any emails prior to an appointment. They can wait until you return from your appointment.