Leather is one of the best materials to be used for clothing, accessories such as belts and bracelets as well as the finest furniture and fixtures. It takes whole lot of effort and time to transform the hide of a once living animal into a luxurious fabric, so it’s very important that the material is not wasted due to poor craftsmanship in the finished project.
Leather bracelets are very fashionable right now and they can be quite versatile. When worn with the right clothes and styling leather accessories can prove to be the extra needed accents to complete the look.
Braided leather is very in right now. If you want create a nice bracelet or belt for yourself or someone in your life, just follow these steps.
- Prepare a strip of leather of ample width. Obviously, if you want a narrower band for a bracelet, you will have to get a small piece of leather. After braiding, the leather piece will be become slightly shorter and thicker since the braid pattern creates a more three-dimensional shape compared to the flat piece of leather. For a belt, a piece that is about 1.5 to 2 inches wide would be a good idea. It’s always better to overestimate the length you need since you could always put belt holes or other ways to adjust the leather strap to a more exact fit. Adding more length to a leather product is literally next to impossible.
- Once you have a piece of leather the shape of a rectangle (make sure that the edges are straight), you may proceed to score or mark the underside or the less shiny part of the leather. You may choose to have three bands or six bands. For our purpose, let’s keep it simple so let’s stick to three bands.
- Mark the three bands along the length of the strip but be mindful of putting at allowance of around half an inch for a bracelet and two to three inches for a belt. This is where the locking mechanism such as the buckles and other items would be inserted once the accessory is finished.
- Cut along the traced lines. This will leave you with three free edges. For reference, label these parts mentally as strands A, B and C.
- You may then proceed with the braiding process. Do it the same way that you would braid a lock of hair. Take the strand A (the left-most strand) and cross it over strand B. This would leave strand B as the new left-most strand under strand A. Take strand C and cross it over the middle strand (now strand A).
- Keep on going with this pattern – alternate the left and right sides in crossing over the middle strand. Make sure that the weave and braids are tight so that they are even and pleasant to look at. Tight braids also make the surface of the accessory more flat.
- Attach the closures and clips to the opposing ends of the belt or bracelet.
Leather is such a forgiving material. Most of the mistakes that you make can be easily concealed by the sheer luxury of the material.