Summer is the best time to be outside, enjoying the beauty of your own garden. Relaxing, breathing fresh air and enjoying the rising or setting sun could be best experienced in your very own gazebo. Gazebos can be made of wood or metal. A metal gazebo is most preferred if you want your gazebo to last longer. Building your own metal gazebo in your most precious garden could be made by assembling a pre-made metal gazebo or fabricating it following your own design.
To fabricate your very own design of your dream metal gazebo, here are the steps to be followed:
- Design your gazebo pattern. You can have an idea or be inspired of gazebos designed by well-known gazebo makers. If you decide to make it on your own, make it simple if you are not that confident of your skill in metal fabrication.
- Prepare the tools and equipment such as welding equipment, welding torch for small parts, hacksaw, snip, measuring device like pull-push rule, and level.
- Prepare the materials that you need. These are metal rods, metal bars, sheet metal, welding rods, primer paint and finishing paint. Sizes and lengths of metal that you need will be according to your pattern. Gravel and concrete are also needed if you prefer to have a more reliable foundation.
- Identify the main components of the gazebo prior to cutting the metals. Layout, frames, deck, frieze, roof and railings are what you have to prepare for its parts. Each component has its members and this should be prepared according to the measurement indicated in your plan.
- Measure and lay out the footings. Laying out the footings would be according to shape and size of your dream gazebo. A round gazebo is simple and easy to make while an octagon would be more difficult but would result in greater fulfillment.
- Pour the footing/foundation and connect the post anchors. Use studs and bolts in attaching the post anchors on the footing. Welding is not yet possible on this part since anchors are made of metal while the footings or foundation are made of cement.
- Install the posts and understructures such as deck joists, headers, and rim joists. Cut and weld the decking.
- Raise the rafters and build the frieze. Fabricate and install the rails. Install the roofing.
- Finish you gazebo with your chosen paint.
Building your own metal gazebo is not a joke. With proper planning, you can create a project that could be useful to your family. Pre-made metal gazebos are available in your local home and garden stores. If you are in a hurry to have a metal gazebo, buying and assembling a pre-made metal gazebo is the best option. It is easier to do since its parts and components are made already and what you have to do is assemble it in the location where you want to put it. What you have to do is to just choose the design of your preference and assemble it according to its manual.