Hip-hop is one of the newest types of dance, and is also one of the most difficult to choreograph. There are plenty of options when it comes to hip-hop dance routines. You can choose simple steps that mostly depend on the rhythm and beats of the song or you can choose complex dance routines that involve air flips and other stunts. If you need to choreograph a hip-hop dance routine, here are some steps to help you.
- Skill level. Remember that you need to work with what you have. Not everyone has the capacity to perform all of the complex stunts that are done in hip-hop. Because of this, you need to first determine the skill level of the dancers in your group. If you are a young and amateur group, you should choreograph you dance routine accordingly. Otherwise, you will likely just stumble through the more difficult parts of the dance routine. Through time and practice, however, you will be able to perform more difficult dance steps and dance routines.
- Research. Next, do your research when it comes to the typical moves and dance steps that are incorporated into hip-hop dance routines. You can do this by watching movies and videos where hip-hop dances are performed. There are many of these that you can rent from your local video shop, download from the Internet, or even watch from websites such as YouTube.
- Ideas. After you have exposed yourself to the various types of hip-hop dance moves that can be made, the next step is to do some brainstorming. Brainstorming should be done not just by you, but also by the other dancers in the hip-hop group that you are forming. Write down all of the initial ideas of dance steps that you want to incorporate, as well as the props and costumes that you are planning on using, as well as the music. After brainstorming, start narrowing down the ideas into just one routine.
- Music. Choose a hip-hop record that goes well with the routine that you are trying to create. Make sure that you spend a fair amount of time in thinking of your choice of music. Remember, the type of music that you choose will determine the beat for your entire dance. Usually, mix tapes are made so that you can incorporate various songs and beats all in one dance routine.
- 8-step rule. When actually creating the dance step itself, make sure that you create the steps in groups of eight. By following the 8-step rule, you will be able to subdivide your dance into units, which will make it much easier for you to practice.
- Practice. Finally, make sure that you spend enough time practicing the hip-hop dance routine. No group knows every step perfectly, and no group is perfectly synchronized right from the beginning. If you want to be a good hip-hop dance group, you need to practice much.
Also make sure that you have a single dance group leader who will oversee all of the dance practices. The dance leader will determine what steps need to be honed and improved, and what steps are the strong points of the team. With these steps, you should be able to choreograph a hip-hop dance routine.