Tarnishing is one major problem for products that are made of brass. Because it is a metal alloy, it has the tendency to tarnish over time changing its original golden color into something pale. Hence, we must find a way to have these blemished brass items cleaned. Although there are a lot of commercially available products, which are chemical-based, a lot of homeowners still choose to use natural cleaning alternatives. They are not only effective but inexpensive as well. Here are some of the tips you can make use of in cleaning your favorite brass item.
- Create a soap water solution for cleaning brass items. A mild solution of detergent and water can suffice. Soak sponge in the soap water solution and dampen onto the brass item. Rub the tarnished surface gently. Rinse with water and check if the luster of your brass item has been restored.
- Rejuvenate tarnished brass with the use of ketchup or tomato sauce. Prepare a small container where you will clean your brass item. You can also use the sink for easier clean up. Put the brass item into the small container or sink. Then, spread ketchup all over the brass item. Using a toothbrush or nailbrush, rub in the item. Rinse the item with water afterwards. Wipe down brass item with paper towels or cloth to dry.
- Combine one tablespoon of baking soda with two to three tablespoons of lemon juice to create a paste-like cleaner. Mix thoroughly with the use of a spatula. Get a toothbrush and use it to rub mixture into the grooves and surfaces of your brass items. Rub thoroughly until brass is completely polished. Afterwards, rinse off with water and have it dried using a clean cloth or a paper towel. This is also great and effective in cleaning copper.
- Soak up the brass item in a vinegar salt solution before the application of the paste-like cleaner. Put vinegar in a container and add a small pinch of salt. Salt is a good abrasive agent, which makes it a helpful component of brass cleaners. Let the item soak into the solution while you wait for a couple of minutes. Notice the change in luster. If you find it shiny enough, get the brass item and rinse it off with water. After then, apply the paste mixture to clean the brass item further.
- Prevent tarnishing by rubbing the cleaned brass item with a cloth moistened with olive oil. By doing this, you need not to clean your brass item over and over again.
- Put on some gloves in making the solutions mentioned above. Wearing them can prevent the drying effect caused by strong components on skin.
Because some of our stuff at home are made of brass, homeowners should be prepared of the possible ways to get rid of tarnishing. With the helpful techniques mentioned above, you can bring back the luster of your brass items without even spending much of your time, money and effort.