How creative do you feel you are right now, compared with how creative you have the potential to be?
If you’re far less creative than you know you’re capable of being, there are many ways to help you increase your creativity.
Here to get you started is your 5 step plan to coach YOUR creativity to new levels:
- Focus on your creative strengths. We all have our creative strengths, the things we’re able to do more easily and confidently than others. What are your particular creative strengths? What do you do, and what do you create without hardly thinking? If you were to ask a close friend or colleague what your creative strengths were, what would they say? Write down as many as you can think of and remind yourself regularly just how many strengths you have.
- Reveal your true creative beliefs. What are your real underlying beliefs about how creative you are? If you don’t actually believe you’re very creative, and that anyone could produce the same kind of art you do, then these beliefs will always limit your creativity. Write down all your beliefs around creativity, pick out the most positive and focus on them. Then highlight the negative ones and turn them around to become their positive opposites.
- Set creative goals. What aims and targets do you have for your creative life? Where would you like to be, and what would you like to have created by this time next year, in 3 years, in 5 years? Goals are just things you would like to achieve, with a timescale attached. Write out some of your creative goals and put a date beside them. Start visualising how you’ll feel once you’ve reached these goals, and repeat regularly as you move toward them.
- Give yourself encouragement. There's a saying that “Encouragement = Rocket Fuel”. It means that with the right encouragement, your creativity can be boosted to new levels. With no encouragement or support at all, however talented you are, it’s likely you’ll get nowhere fast. Treat yourself as you would your best friend. How would you encourage and motivate a friend to be more creative? Simply apply the same principles to yourself.
- Measure your progress. It’s very easy to feel you’re not getting anywhere or never developing in your creativity, simply because you live with yourself day in and day out. Take time each week to note down what you’ve created, how you’ve moved on, and the small steps you’ve taken forward. At the end of every 2 or 3 months look back at all you’ve achieved. You’ll be impressed and motivated by just how much you do create and evolve without realizing.
Follow these 5 steps and you’ll have in place a very powerful system for boosting your creativity to levels you didn’t think you were capable of.
This is one of many ways to be more creative.
I invite you to take the next positive step to increase your creativity today by downloading your free copy of the powerful and practical "Explode Your Creativity!" Action Workbook at http://www.CoachCreative.com
From Creativity Coach Dan Goodwin