Salt and pepper shakers are more than just containers for your condiments. They can also be collector’s items that can be used for display in your home décor. These items come in different shapes, sizes, and designs so there are a lot to collect. Follow the instructions given below to start your collection of salt and pepper shakers, and how to keep them in good condition for display around your home.
What you need:
- Extra money for your collecting hobby
- Some place in your house where you can display your salt and pepper shakers
- Background information about the different designs that salt and pepper shakers can come in
Research on the different styles of salt and pepper shakers.
Have some good background information about the different shapes, sizes, and designs that salt and pepper shakers can have. You will have an easier way of determining which kinds of these items that you want to collect. You can choose sets that were made in a specific era, those with a particular design that catches your interest, or those made from your favorite manufacturers.
Find where to purchase salt and pepper shakers
There are many places you can go to and find salt and pepper shakers for sale. Here are some of them:
- Antique shops: Some salt and shaker models are actual antiques so be sure to browse in these sorts of places to see if they have some in stock.
- Thrift stores: Speak to the storekeeper and inquire if they have some in stock and check if some of what they have might interest you in adding to your collection.
- Yard sales: You would usually find salt and pepper shakers among the odds and ends that are being sold in yard sales, so be sure to browse for them.
- Flea markets: Search for salt and pepper shakers among the many items that are being sold in flea markets, and see if you can get them at lower prices.
- Friends, family: Ask some of your friends and family members if they have any spare salt and pepper shakers that they would like to get rid of.
Check the quality of the salt and pepper shakers that you want to buy.
Check if the shakers show any signs of damage or disfigurement before you buy them. Inspect for leakage, salt peeling, cracks, or faded paint. Also, check if they have missing or defective parts. Knowing their condition will help you know how much value they still have.
Purchase salt and pepper shakers.
Shakers usually come in married sets which are two different piece that are made to match each other in style and design. While collecting salt and pepper shakers, it’s a good idea to buy them in matched sets, for these pieces to complement each other.
Display salt and pepper shakers in your home.
After thoroughly washing the shakers, fill them up with their appropriate condiments and place them among tableware that goes well with their design.
Salt and pepper shakers make for a good collection, because of the multitude of designs and styles that they come in. Be sure to go for high quality glass, wood and metal shakers, and keep them clean and in serviceable condition.