Creating your own place card holder for your party or event can help you save a lot of money. Rather than buy these from a specialty store or order these from the caterer, you can do it yourself with a few materials and some extra time. What's great with creating your own place card holders is that you can design these to closely follow the theme of your party or event.
What you will need:
- Metal wire
- Small flower pots
- Gravel, sand or Styrofoam
Using metal wire
Metal wire can be bought from any crafts store or hardware store. Be sure you buy wire that’s thick enough to vertically stand and hold the place card. 18-gauge wire should do.
- Measure about nine to twelve inches of metal wire and cut with the cutting edge of the pliers. You might have to twist the pliers a bit in order to cut through the metal wire.
- Grab one end of the metal wire with the tip of the pliers and wrap it around the tip of the pliers several times until the metal wire is coiled.
- Plant the straight end of the metal wire into a small pot with sand, gravel or Styrofoam (cut to fit the pot). This should usually stand on its own. Otherwise, you might also have to coil one end of the place metal wire to have a firmer hold on the sand or gravel.
Alternatively, you can also decorate your metal wire, and you can make it stand on its own.
- Measure a 12-inch length of metal wire and cut it with the pliers. Grab one end with the tip of the pliers and coil it around to make the place card holder.
- String some beads into the wire. You can set these in place using a glue gun.
- Twist the bottom of the wire such that it forms a large circle about two to three inches in diameter. This will serve as the base of your place card holder.
Bamboo can be bought from crafts stores or gardening supply stores. Get thin bamboo, measuring about one inch in diameter.
- Measure about six to nine inches of bamboo and cut with a saw.
- Hold the piece upright and saw a notch on one end. The notch should be about1/4 inch deep.
- Set the bamboo into the small pot. The notched end should hold place cards snugly.
You can decorate the pot to follow the theme of the party or event. You can paste cut-out flowers, printouts, or simple colored paper onto the pot. If you’re using metal wire, you can twist and bend metal wire into different shapes, to follow the event’s theme.
If you have extra time, you can even paint on the metal wire or bamboo itself, to make it more coordinated with the theme of the event. Or, you can paint patterns into the bamboo itself. Your guests can then take home these place card holders, which they can use as photo holders or for holding small memo pads.