Buying a prom dress from the store may be cheaper and less time consuming that having one made. However, some adjustments must be made on the dress for it to fit you perfectly. One of the common problems that girls encounter when they purchase a prom dress is the length. You can easily alter the length of the prom dress to make it shorter. Doing this by yourself can save you some money rather than having a tailor do it for you.
Here are the steps you can follow to hem your prom dress properly:
- Materials you need. The materials you need for hemming a prom dress are a sewing machine, tailor’s pins, scissors, a spool of thread the same color as your dress, an iron, your prom shoes and a full length mirror.
- Measure the length. Wear your prom dress and your prom shoes. Ask help from someone for this step. Fold up the hem of the prom dress according to the length that you want. Step in front of the full length mirror to see how the prom dress falls on you. Pin up the hem all over to shorten it. When doing adjustments, keep your head and body straight and do not lean down so that the folding will be equal all over.
- Iron the folds. Remove the dress and iron the folds. Make sure that the lines are straight. You have to put a crease on the fold so that it will be easier for you to sew in the hem later on. Choose the lowest heat option of the iron if you are working on a delicate material to avoid burning it.
- Examine the dress. Wear the dress again to make sure that you have made the right adjustments. If you feel that the dress is still long or if you made it a bit too short, do the necessary adjustments and iron the dress again until you are happy with the length.
- Set your sewing machine. Cut out a small piece of fabric from the hem that you don’t need. You will need this to adjust the settings on your sewing machine. Some fabrics may be delicate or too thick, so you have to try and sew a small piece first. Adjust the tension on your sewing machine until it is ready for hemming.
- Sew the hem. Now you can start sewing the hem of your prom dress. Turn the dress inside out so that it will be easier for you to sew. Sew the hem shorter according to the fold that you made. Remove the pins as you are sewing and check constantly if you are sewing in a straight direction. Finish the hem all around the dress.
Now you have altered the length of your prom dress. This is an easy way to make some changes on you prom dress so that it can fit you well. You can also do this with other long clothes you have such as skirts or pants.