Back in the day, masquerade balls were the most lavish and most elegant social events in high society. Today, these events have been outshone by other themes. However, once in awhile, bringing this costume party back, can still pique the curiosities of the guests since it can bring back an age where concealing your true identity with a mask while mingling with different people was fashionable. So, if you are looking for a classic party theme, then you really can’t go wrong with this one. Here are some ideas on how to throw and host a masquerade ball, one that will be talked about for years to come.
- Pick a theme. You might be thinking that because this was a thing of the past that you will have to stick with the traditional themes similar to a Victorian setting. Well, the reality is that you can mix it up a bit. The important thing is the essence of masquerading your identity with a mask. Hence, you can go with different themes such as a black tie affair, a retro 70’s or 80’s event, or an urban costume party. It really depends on what you think will click with the guests.
- Set the ball details. Before sending out the invites, decide on the date and time of the event as well as the venue. The venue will really depend on the head count for the ball. If you are planning a large party with over a hundred guests, then you may want to lease a reception hall or club for a night.
- Send the invitations. Finalize the guest list and send out the invitations. Make sure that the invites match the theme of the ball. It is important that the date, time, and venue of the party are clear on the invite to avoid confusion. In addition, be sure to explain the theme of the party and that each guest should come in an appropriate costume. Including a note that informs a guest to RSVP is recommended as well.
- Prepare the venue. A day before the event, start decorating the venue for the ball. Use decorations that match the theme. For instance, if you are going with the retro theme, then you will want to use tie-dyed fabrics, psychedelic décor, and a disco ball for the decorations.
- Hire a caterer. Food, refreshments, and booze are a must so make sure that you are able to serve them to your guests. If the venue provides the catering service, then consider hiring them as the caterers as well. If not, hire a third party caterer for the event. Make sure the service comes with a bar, bartender, and a good selection of booze.
- Hire the entertainment. Balls will do well with a DJ and a good sound system. However, if you feel that the event could benefit from live entertainment, then you can maybe hire an entertainer or a band. However, make sure that the music matches the theme as well.
With all the elements in place, you should be able to host a successful and fashionable masquerade ball. Make sure that you have enough masks for your guests, as this is the most important element of any masquerade ball.