If you want to improve your singing voice, it’s very important that you know how to practice everyday. Think of athletes who train everyday in order to maintain their bodies in top form. This goes the same for singers, who need to constantly train their diaphragms, vocal cords, larynx, etc. in order for them to improve their vocals and their ranges. If you yourself are looking for ways to improve your singing even while you’re at home, here are some of the best tips that you could do:
- Take care of your voice. Apart from the actual practices, this is the single most important thing you need to do in order to maintain the quality of your voice. First of all, you have to be certain not to abuse your vocal cords by resting your voice now and then, avoiding shouting, and avoiding drinking liquids that are too cold. You should also drink lots of water regularly, and avoid smoking.
- Do some diaphragm exercises. Here’s one healthy technique to train your diaphragm, and hence improve your singing voice:
First, place the fingers of both hands on your diaphragm. Remember, your singing voice should come from this area. Take a deep breath from your diaphragm, and using this breath, sing “e” continuously at the lowest pitch that you could comfortably handle.
Squeeze your diaphragm with your fingers, and your voice should go against this squeezing: that is, your diaphragm should be pushing against your fingers as you do your vocal exercise.
After about 20 seconds, rest. Then, repeat the process about three more times, singing “a”, “o” and then finally, “u” at each time.
The key here is to strengthen your muscles at your diaphragm, in order for it to increase in vocal range and to improve your over-all vocal quality.
- Do warm-ups before singing. It’s very important that before you begin to practice singing a song, you have to make sure that your vocal cords are adequately warmed up. This would prevent injuries and strains. To warm up, you should first hum a melody, keeping your mouth closed. Another technique is to buzz your lips while keeping to a melody.
You could also try singing a song but only using the “e” sound, before you finally sing the actual song.
- Improve your enunciation. Apart from the vocal quality, you should also be more conscious about the way that you pronounce words. Practice opening your mouth wider in order for you to create the proper sounds of vowels.
- Sing, sing, sing! The best way really is to sing every time you have the opportunity to. Go out with your friends for a night at a karaoke bar, or even sing in the shower and enjoy the great resonance that is available there (because of the size of typical showers and the tiles). The more you sing, the more you are able to practice your vocal cords, diaphragm, etc, and the better your voice quality will become. You should also challenge your musical capabilities by singing an octave higher than you usually would, or by singing different musical genres.
Remember, if you want to improve your singing it’s very important that you allot enough time to practice daily. There are plenty of opportunities for training yourself to sing better; what’s important is that you do take time to do this. Good luck, and hope this helped!