Insects are called bugs for a reason. They are annoying pests that give many the creepy crawlies. Most people use harmful chemicals to get rid of those pesky insects because they do not know of any other way. The good news is that you do not have to pollute your environment with poisons that will kill of insects. Here are some organic ways for how to stop bugs from terrorizing you and your garden.
- Put down the Raid. It clearly states on the label, "Hazardous to humans and domestic animals. Harmful if swallowed. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing." Do you really want your family around that? Using Raid and products of its kind will also leave a residue of chemicals behind that you can easily inhale unknowingly. Just reaching for a can of it may seem like the easiest solution but it is not the healthiest way for you and your family.
- Look for insecticide without pesticide. Many products on the market these days do not contain pesticide and are not harmful to humans or pets. Products like Orange Guard contain orange peel extract that will destroy the wax coating of the insect's respiratory system and causes suffocation.
- Take a trip to your local department store. With many people becoming environmentally sound there are always new products available on the market to kill insects organically.
- Another good way to learn the tips and tricks of killing insects organically is talking to your local garden center. Ask the sales people if they know of any inside secrets to getting rid of insects organically.
- Get rid of ants by using strong odors. Ants are sensitive to smells. You can use their weakness to your advantage. Ants do not like the scent of mint or clove oil. Placing cotton balls soaked in either one is a great way to get rid of ants organically. Another neat trick is to mash up hot peppers, mix with water and place the mashed mixture around the areas where the ants have invaded.
- Deadly weapons are hidden in your pantry. You may just have some innocent looking items hidden away in your kitchen that are downright deadly to ants. I'm talking about cornmeal and grits. Scattered some cornmeal or grits around your counter top. When the ants eat it and drink water the grits or cornmeal will expand inside the ant's stomach and kaboom!
- A good way to get rid of fleas organically is to sprinkle diatomaceous soil in your yard and garden. The diatomaceous soil is specifically designed to contain sharp edges so that the flea larva becomes damaged while it is crawling through the soil.
- To get rid of aphids organically mix one teaspoon of baking soda with one quart of water and add a few drops of any organic dishwasher liquid. Spray on the leaves and steams of your plants every four to five days.