Braid-like cable stitch is also known as braid cable stitch. If you have been knitting for quite a while and you mastered the basic stitches, you can try doing braid-like cable stitch. This is more challenging than basic stitches because you need to combine different stitches while following a pattern. You can knit this on sweater, scarf, socks or beanies and it will make your craft more beautiful. There are different patterns available for knitting braid-like cable. If you love knitting and you really want to learn braid-like cable stitch, there’s no reason why you will not be able to do this one. Other people do not want to try knitting braid-like cable because they think that it’s hard to do. They get intimidated by the intricate design. They feel that this is a complicated stitch to do. It’s true that it’s not that easy but with your concentration, patience and ability to follow the instructions, you will find yourself enjoying knitting braid-like cable.
To knit a braid-like cable, here are the steps.
- Prepare the materials that you will use for knitting a braid-like cable. The materials you need for knitting a braid-like cable are yarn, pattern, regular sized knitting needles and cable knitting needles. Choose the color of the yarn that suits you. You can also choose your own pattern. You can purchase these on any craft store. You can also search online for free patterns on knitting a braid-like cable. For this project, we will make a 15 stitches panel. The steps will teach you how to knit braid-like cable on this particular pattern. If the size that you’re knitting is bigger, continue with the pattern until you get the desired size.
- Cast stitches. To start knitting braid-like cable, cast 15 stitches onto the needle.
- Rows 1 and 5. For rows 1 and 5 you need to purl 3 stitches, knit 9 stitches then purl another 3 stitches.
- Even Rows. For even rows (2,4,6,8), the stitches will be the opposite of the stitches on rows 1 and 5. You need to knit 3 stitches, purl 9 stitches then knit another 3 stitches.
- Row 3. You will be using the cable needle on this row. Purl 3 stitches, slip 3 stitches to cable needle and hold it in front. Knit 3 stitches, knit 3 stitches from the cable needle, knit 3 stitches then purl 3 stitches.
- Row 7. On this row, you need to purl 3 stitches, knit 3stitches, slip 3 stitches to the cable needle and hold it at the back. Knit 3 stitches, Knit 3 stitches from the cable needle, then purl 3 stitches. Repeat the steps for rows 1 to 8.
You are now able to knit a braid-like cable. Try different patterns so
that you will be more familiar in knitting this type of stitch.
Instructions are usually given when you purchase a pattern for knitting
braid-like cable. Start knitting braid-like cable on projects with small
size such as dishcloth and socks. Try and try until you master this.
Once you mastered knitting braid-like cable, you can try this on sweater
or knitted dress.