Bobbleheads are not only funny, but they are also entertaining and for years they have adorned sports events or even politics. They are called “bobbleheads” for the simple fact that they have heads that “bobble.” This type of collectibles usually have bigger heads than proportionate to their bodies. The oldest known bobblehead appeared in the 1950s as keepsakes from major league baseball. These days, making a bobblehead is fairly easy and you can do it yourself! Since you can customize it, you can make bobbleheads out of anyone and any motif. These are perfect handcrafted gifts that you can do.
The materials you’ll need to make bobbleheads are:
- 18 to 20 gauge white craft wire
- Small clean container (plastic)
- Craft foam
- Super glue
- Craft glue
- Pencil or a quarter inch dowel
- Uncooked non-instant rice
- Glue gun
- Chenille stem
- 3 inch Styrofoam sphere or ball
- Wire cutters
Now that you have all the materials you need, you can start making your own bobblehead by following these directions:
- Create the coiled wire as the “neck.” You will be using a pencil to achieve this task. Use your wire cutters to cut the 18-20 gauge wire to a length of 24 inches. Begin coiling the wire around your pencil. Once coiled, the wire should be at least 6 inches long. This coiled wire will serve as your bobblehead’s neck. Carefully remove the wire from the pencil. Attach the coiled wire into the small plastic container by gluing it firmly on the center of the bottom of the container so that the wire will appear standing up.
- Secure the bobblehead’s base. The plastic container will serve as the base for the bobblehead. It should be heavy enough to hold the head and its body so what you should do would be to pour uncooked rice into the container (while the coil is still standing up). You will need to cover the rice so it won’t spill so take craft glue and pour it on the rice evenly. Let the glue dry out completely before proceeding to the next step.
- Make the body. With the craft form, make the body of the bobblehead. Mark a cross pattern on the foam with the dimensions of 6 inches in width and 7 inches in length. Cut a small slit on the center to serve as the opening from the neck.
Cut the pattern out of the craft foam and insert the coiled wire in a container through the center. When the craft foam is in position, fold it in half and wrap it around the coiled craft wire. Glue along the sides of the shirt with a glue gun and let it dry completely.
For the hands, you can cut at least 4 inches of chenille stem for both sides. Glue the stems into the sleeves of the craft foam with the stem extending outside the sleeves. Do this for both left and right sides.
- Making the head. Your styrofoam head can be designed as you wish. You may print out small pictures of anyone and glue it on the Styrofoam ball. It you have decorated the ball then you should be ready to attach it on the coiled wire. Attach the styrofoam head by piercing the coiled wire into it.
Add some finishing touches like coloring the small base container or adding some yarn as hair. You can choose any color and any design but the concept of making a bobblehead remains the same. That is why bobbleheads are flexible. Enjoy!