Bookmarks can be made from practically any material. You can make a bookmark out of cardboard, dress labels, dried petals and leafs, and ribbons. Another material that has become a hit among book lovers and craftsy individuals is the oversized paper clip. Whether you want to make one for a pleasurable reading activity or as a gift, here’s a general guideline on making a large paper clip bookmark.
- Acquire a large paper clip. Large paper clips can be bought from craft stores, specialty stores, and large chain supermarkets. But if you want to make this an entirely DIY project, consider making your own large paper clip. You will need a length of jewelry wire for this. With pliers, simply bend the jewelry into a paper clip shape. Remember to be careful. Although the jewelry wire is not likely to injure you, it might slightly nick your skin.
- Decide on the design. The design that you should attach to the topmost part of your bookmark is a personal choice. For instance, you can go for a summer theme and glue a big sun on the bookmark. If you love ballet, you can attach a ballerina or a tutu picture. Design ideas are endless, but make sure to choose one that represents your or your recipient’s interest.
- Prepare your design. Preparation depends on the design you have in mind. For example, if you want to make use of pictures, you need to cut photos from magazines or print from websites. Glue them to a cardboard. If you want to preserve the color and integrity of the design, you might want to laminate the pictures. Ribbons and laces are also good bookmark designs. Simply form them into a bow or into any shape that you desire. Add plastic flowers if you like. Whatever design you want for your bookmark, make sure it is durable and is not too heavy for the bookmark to accommodate.
- Glue the design. The design should be attached to one end of the paper clip. Start by putting a good amount of clear glue on the back side of the design. Then gently press the design onto the paper clip. Doing this will squeeze out the excess glue, so keep a washcloth handy to remove the excess. If you want, you can also use glue gun for this. Put hot glue on the part of the paper clip where you will attach the design. Then immediately put the design in place before the glue hardens. Again, press the design onto its position. Wait for a few minutes for the glue to completely dry.
- Try the bookmark. When it is ready, you can test the bookmark on your book. Slip it through a page and take note if the design stays intact. If it does not, you might want to add some more glue. If it does, your bookmark is ready to be used.
You can make as many bookmarks as you want. But as far as design is concerned, making lots of bookmarks will challenge your creativity. So make sure to be ready with plenty of design ideas.