Button frames are a fun, whimsical way to display your favorite photos. Since buttons can be found in countless colors, shapes, and designs, the possibilities for frame decorating are endless! The only limit to the designs you can create is your imagination. Button frames are also cheap and easy to make, which makes them a great craft project for kids.
To get started, you will need a plain wooden cardboard frame that can be purchased at any craft store. Thrift stores and yard sales are also great places for finding frames you can use!
You will also need a wide variety of buttons. To adhere the buttons, you will need a hot glue gun and glue sticks. Finally, you will need paint to decorate the background of the frame.
Before you begin, be sure to protect your work area with newspapers to ensure easy clean-up! Also, be sure to remove the glass from the frame before beginning your project.
- First, paint the frame. Choose a color that will compliment the buttons you are using. Be sure to allow the paint to dry completely before proceeding!
- After the paint has dried, you can start arranging buttons. There is no right or wrong way. Arrange them however you like. Random patterns tend to look best. You can cover the entire frame or you can just add a few buttons here and there. Experiment with different arrangements before affixing the buttons with glue.
- Once you are happy with the way your buttons are arranged, begin gluing them on using the hot glue gun. For children, it is recommended that an adult does the gluing for safety reasons.
- Stick the buttons on one by one, making sure to press them down firmly. Be careful not to get burned by glue seeping through the holes in the button. For best results and to avoid glue coming through the holes, try to put glue only on solid surfaces of the button.
- When you are done, you can spray the frame with clear acrylic to give it a shinier look, but this is not necessary. Allow the frame to dry completely before inserting a photo.
Once your project is finished, you will have a one-of-a-kind picture frame that is perfect for displaying your treasured memories. Button frames are also wonderfully inexpensive and easy to make gifts.