A dartboard is a perfect addition to any bar or man cave. A billiard table may be too expensive and bulky to be installed in a limited space, so having dartboard cabinets would be a great alternative. Darts is a great indoor game that doesn't take much time to learn. It's more of a skill game that demands concentration and eye-hand coordination to allow for consistent results.
A dartboard cabinet barely takes up space. It can be mounted on any wall and is a self contained unit. You wouldn't need an extra set of boxes or racks to hold the other equipment that you need to play the game. All the supplies - the dartboard, the darts, the scoreboard and chalk --- can be easily stowed in a wooden case. Since it's hung on a wall, it also doesn't cause any impediments for the people who may be walking around.
Whether you're using an electronic dart board, a bristle dartboard or other types of boards, making a dartboard cabinet should be a great project. Here are instructions on how you do it:
- Since the dartboard is circular, you can use a square shape for the cabinet. A piece of plywood that is 24 inches on all four sides and one inch thick should be great for this purpose.
- Prepare four other pieces of wood measuring 24 inches by 5 inches by 1 inch. Use a miter to cut perfect 45 degree corners at the edges of your pieces of wood. Doing this would ensure that the joints would be solid and stable since the angles would all be right (or equal to 90 degrees).
- Next, prepare the doors. Prepare two pieces of wood that are 12 inches by 12 inches by 1 inch.
- It is now time to put together the cabinet. Using small nails, nail the four similarly sized pieces of wood to create the wooden frame. This would fit snugly over the wooden base. Use wood glue or nails to secure the joint.
- Use hinges to secure the doors of the dartboard cabinet. Magnetic strips could also be used to secure the door when you want it to stay closed.
- Attach small boxes at the base of the doors. This should serve as the receptacle for darts, chalk for scoring and game instructions for beginners.
- Mount the dartboard in the middle using a small screw or nail.
- Affix the cabinet to your wall. Keep in mind that the standard height for a dartboard under competition rules is five feet, eight inches. This is to be measured from the floor to the middle of the bull's eye. The thrower should also be at last seven feet and nine and one quarter inch away from the surface of the dartboard.
Darts is a great way to spend time with your friends or family. Keep it simple and convenient by having a nice cabinet to keep your gear. This keeps your room or bar neat, and your equipment safe and clean when not in use.