Cuddling up in a fleece blanket on a cold day is one of the best ways to spend an afternoon. If you have all the ingredients except the fleece blanket, don’t despair. You can create a fleece blanket at home in no time. Follow these instructions and you’ll be on your way to that cozy day.
Thread and sewing machine
- Measure the size of blanket needed. The easiest way to make a fleece blanket is to use a bed size as a model. If you plan to cuddle up with a partner, start with the size of a full or queen bed and add one foot to each side for overlap. Then head to the fabric store to purchase the length you need.
- Sew the sections together into one sheet. Create the flat surface of the blanket with a soft seam in the center.
- Create the hem around each side. You don’t want to fleece fabric to snag or fray so prevent this by creating a hem. Place a strip of two-sided fabric tape along the edge, leaving one-quarter inch of fabric exposed above the tape. Then fold the edge over once so the tape is hidden. Sew along the bottom edge of the tape for a secure hem.
- Finish hem on each side. Be patient, the larger the blanket, the longer this takes, but you want to create a nice even hem on each side.
- You’re ready to curl up with a loved one. You can add decorations or embellishments to your blanket if you prefer. If not, you are ready to put that blanket to use.
Fleece is a warm winter fabric that is soft to the touch. You can curl up with a book or a movie any time there’s a chill in the air. With this blanket to wrap around you you’ll be warm in minutes.
The easiest blankets to make will be one single, solid color.
If you wish to add embellishments, consider sewing a row of tassels or ribbon onto two of the ends. Or use your fabric paint pen to personalize the blanket with a favorite quote, poem or just the user’s name.
Fleece blankets make great gifts, especially when you take the time to personalize them.