Knife handles come in different forms. Some knife handles are ceramic, others are made of wood and others are made of plastic. Having a sharp knife is useless if you don’t have a good grip on your knife. That is why having the right handle for your grip is essential to your knife. You can make your own knife handle made of wood. You can easily make this by purchasing some materials from your local hardware store.
Here are the steps on how you can make a knife handle:
- Materials for the knife handle. First, you have to gather all the materials that you need for this project. You may already have some of the materials at home but you have to purchase some of the items that you do not have. The things that you need for the knife handle are: hardwood for the handle, the knife blade, a pencil and paper, wood glue, sandpaper and saw.
- Pattern for knife handle. When you already have all the materials that you need, you can already draw the pattern for the knife handle. Get a piece of paper and the pencil to draw the handle. When you draw the handle, take into consideration your grip and the size of your hand. Also, consider the size of the part of the blade that will be inside the handle. Make sure that the blade does not go outside the knife handle. You will make two pieces of handle, for the front and the back of the knife. When you are already happy with the pattern, you can trace it on the hardwood.
- Cutting the handle. You can use the saw to cut the pattern that you drew on the hardwood. If you have a mechanical saw for this purpose, you can use it. If you are going to cut the wood manually, you may need to wear gloves to avoid having gashes while holding the wood in place when you saw. You should have two pieces of wood for the handle. Cut a portion from each handle where the part of the knife inserted in the handle will be.
- Putting the knife together. Now, place the knife blade between the two wood handles that you just cut out. Use the wood glue to put the pieces together. Wait for the wood glue to dry.
- Sanding the knife handle. When the wood glue is already dry, you can do the final touches and sand down the knife handle so that you can have a smooth grip. Use the sandpaper to do this and gently get rid of the rough areas on the handle.
These are the steps on how you can make your own knife handle. By doing this, you wouldn’t have to go to someone else to and pay for this service. Also, you will be able to create a knife handle that will perfectly fit your grip. This is not only cheaper but it is also a way for you to show your creativity.