Miniature volcanoes are one of the favorite and most-loved science projects. It is considered as one of the most exciting experiments to work on.
If you did not have the chance to make a miniature volcano as a science project, perhaps this is the time for you to learn how to make one.
Here are the steps on how to make a miniature volcano:
1. Gather all the materials you need. Here is the list of materials you need for this cool project:
- newspaper strips
- plastic bottle
- shallow cardboard box
- tissue paper
- baking soda
- warm water
- liquid detergent
- red food coloring
- cooking oil
2. Make the paper-mache mixture. Mix the following ingredients to make the paper-mache mixture: 6 cups of flour, 2 cups of salt, 2 cups of water and 4 tablespoons of cooking oil. Stir the ingredients until you come up with a consistently textured paste. If the mixture is too thick, you may add more water to it.
3. Put the plastic bottle in place. Lay down a cardboard on a flat surface and place plastic bottle on the center. This is in preparation for the next step.
4. Make the paper-mache volcano. The newspaper should be cut into strips. The width of the newspaper strips should be about an inch wide and the length should be equal to the height of the bottle. Dip the strips into the paper-mache mixture then paste them to the bottle vertically. Continue pasting until you have created the size of the volcano you want for the project. Mold the shape as you paste. Make sure that you do not put paste inside the bottle. Keep the mouth of the bottle open.
5. Let the paper-mache volcano dry. After you have molded the paper-mache in the shape of the volcano, let it dry and harden. The paper-mache volcano may take a day to dry.
6. Paint the paper-mache volcano. When the paper-mache volcano has fully dried up, you may now paint it with the desired color.
7. Put dirt on the volcano. Sprinkle dirt on the sides of the volcano while the paint is still wet. This will give a realistic effect to the volcano. Let the paint dry after sprinkling the dirt.
8. Create the lava for the volcano. Put warm water in the bottle. Fill up to 2/3 of it. Pour red food coloring in the warm water. This is to make it look like real lava. Then add about 6 drops of liquid detergent into the bottle. Next, get a tissue and put 2 tablespoons of baking soda on it. Wrap the baking soda in the tissue then put it inside the bottle. Lastly, pour half a cup of vinegar into the mixture. The tissue paper will dissolve. When the baking soda mixes with the vinegar, it will make a chemical reaction. The volcano will erupt and lava will flow down the sides of it.
A miniature volcano is fun and easy to make. Now that you know the steps on how to make one, pass the knowledge to somebody who needs help with their Science project!