Old boxes and tins can be made to look very pretty by decorating them with lots of tiny pictures or patterns cut out from postcards, glossy magazines, birthday cards or wrapping paper, and then varnished. You can also try decorating hair brushes, hand mirrors and photo frames with cut-out pictures.
- A box or tin
- Birthday cards or post cards
- A pair of small scissors
- Strong glue or glue stick
- Fine sand paper
- A paint brush
- A soft cloth
- Before you start, make sure that the box or tin is clean and smooth so that it is ready to decorate.
Peel off any labels or bumpy bits.
- Using a pair of small, sharp scissors, carefully cut out the pictures you want to cover the box with. To start with,
practice cutting out bigger pictures.
- Arrange the pictures on the box and then glue on the first one. Rub hard to get rid of any air bubbles and
to make a nice smooth surface.
- Wipe off any extra glue with a soft cloth and then glue on the next picture. Carry on until you have covered the box with little pictures. Let the glue dry.
- Once the glue has dried, you can begin to varnish. Brush on the first coat and leave it to dry overnight. Then gently sand it down with sandpaper.
- Dust the box and then varnish on another coat. Let each coat dry before adding the next. You will need ten layers of
varnish. Do not sand the last coat.