If you are having problems picking the right dress for the prom because of budget constraints, you can make your own prom dress. All you need is a dress pattern, some fabric and sewing skills. If you have no experience in making clothes, you can make your own pattern and have a dress company sew one for you. This way, you will be able to choose the design you want and you will surely be the only one who will be wearing that dress.
Here are some tips on how you can make your own prom dress pattern:
- Budget. The fist thing you have to consider when you are making your prom dress pattern is how much your budget is. You can make a pattern for a short dress to meet your budget. You can also make a long dress but you have to choose a fabric that will not be too expensive. Choosing simplicity patterns will be easier for you.
- Color. The next thing you will have to think about is the color of your prom gown. You can stick with a classic color, such as a black dress or a white dress. If you are looking for a more fun color, be sure to choose something that compliments the color of your skin. See which colors are good on your skin tone. Avoid wearing dark colors if you have dark skin.
- Designs and Patterns. You can choose a patterned fabric or you can also go with plain colored fabric. If you are going to choose a patterned fabric, it is advisable to pick a simple design so that your dress would not appear too busy. You can go with ruffles and pleats if your fabric is plain. Be careful not to choose patterned fabric that will look like a pillowcase.
- Inspiration. You can look at other sewing patterns so that you can create a pattern of your own. You can look at vintage dresses, corset dresses, wrap around skirts and more. Purchase prom magazines, wedding magazines or look for dresses on the Internet so that you will have an idea on how to make a pattern of your own dress.
- Sketch. Sketch the dress that you want and make sure to highlight the small details of the dress. You may want to use different embellishments to add flair to your prom dress. Take into consideration the shoes that you are going to use and also the accessories to go with the prom dress.
- Make Your Own Websites. You can visit a lot of websites wherein you can create the pattern for the dress and they will be the one to create your dress for you. One of the websites where you can do this is www.promgirl.com. All you have to do is to submit to them a pattern of your design and the materials or patterns that you want. They will ask you for your size and your budget for the price range. Dresses can be from $100.00 to about $500.00.
These are some of the tips that you can use when you are creating a dress pattern for your own prom dress. Be sure that you take measurements of your body so that the dress will fit you just right.