Whenever it rains, puddles form almost everywhere. These puddles catch children’s attention and they start jumping into one when they get the chance. To add to the fun that jumping on puddles bring, you can make your own puddle paddle boat. This kind of activity may be experimental and fun at the same time. Learn how to make a puddle paddle boat by reading the rest of this article.
- Prepare the things you need: scissors, rubber bands, and a piece of cardboard, ruler, and a masking tape. Since cardboard will not last long when wet, you can also opt to use balsa wood instead of cardboard.
- Determine the measurements. On the cardboard or balsa wood, draw a square with a measurement of four inches per side. Once you are done with measuring, cut out the square. Or, you can also have the alternative option to check out paddle boat templates and diagrams over the Internet to use as basis. These may provide ease in making the paddle boat since there will be illustrations and all you have to do is to check whether you are on the right track as you follow the instructions.
- Create the shape of your paddle boat. To do this, cut a point at one edge of the cardboard and a square measuring two inches on the other edge.
- Work on your paddle. After obtaining the two-inch square, you can then work on the paddle. The paddle should measure one inch by two inches. Once you already have a one inch by two inches paddle, the next thing for you to do is to wrap a piece of rubber band just around the paddle boat's end. As soon as the rubber band is already wrapped around the end, you can tape the rubber band to keep it in place.
- Decorate your paddle. If you want, you can decorate the paddle boat to make it more presentable and nice. With the use of crayons or even permanent markers, you can design your paddle boat all you want.
- Use your paddle. After all the work and effort you have put into making the paddle boat, it is now ready for use. All you have left to do is to find yourself a puddle. Start playing by twisting the paddle slightly, towards your direction, in order for the rubber band to be winded. Then, once the rubber band is already winded, you should immediately place the paddle boat in the water, and you can watch it go.
You can even have puddle paddle boat races to add a lot of fun. Also,
when there are children playing around, they should be supervised by
adults so that they would not be involved in any accident since puddles
may cause you to slip.
Creating a puddle paddle boat is as easy as making an ordinary paper
boat. It does not take forever to make, and also does not require too
many complicated materials and steps. All you have to do is to follow
the instructions step by step. With this activity, fun and creativity
are rolled into one.