Whenever you are hampered by physical disability or need something that can support you while you are going outdoors, you will need a walking stick to aid your every movement. If you are thinking of saving a little cash or are fond of doing things yourself, you can build a walking stick on your own. For this stick, the best material that you can use is PVC (Polychloroethanediyl). PVC is a plastic polymer which is not expensive and is very flexible. Its applications are so diverse that it can be used as a material in many do-it-yourself projects. Here are steps you must follow in making a walking stick made of PVC. Do the following instructions and you will soon have that sturdy stick to support you in your next outdoor escapades!
- Prepare the materials that you will need: For this particular task, you will need quite a number of materials. You will need any measuring instrument, PVC pipes, a pipe cutter or hacksaw, aluminium oxide sandpaper, PVC pipe caps, PVC cement, cordage, two paper towels, scissors and decorative materials. Most of them are available at hardware stores so you can buy them anytime. Other materials are likely already available in your house so it is not going to be a problem acquiring them.
- Measure your hand and accord to this the size of the walking stick’s handle: Since your hand will hold the walking stick, it is vital that the size of the walking stick’s handle suits well with you palms’ opening. After knowing the size of your open palm, cut a piece of PVC pipe. Make sure that its diameter must be close as possible to your hand’s size.
- Calculate the ideal length of the walking stick: Many variables again must be taken into consideration for this step. One of the most important of these variables is the length of the stick. Usually the length is the distance between your armpit and the floor but ultimately you will decide the length that suits you best. Do not falter with the measurements since it can decide on the success or failure of the walking stick.
- Cut the pipe you will need: After knowing the size of your palm and the length of the walking stick, the next thing to do is to cut the piece of pipe available. Cut it according to the ideal sizes. Afterwards, refine its texture using sandpaper.
- Put in cordage in the grip area: You must find out the specific position in the stick’s handle where your palm feels most comfortable holding on to. When you finally pinpointed this area, wrap cordage around it. The traction of the cordage will increase friction. As a result, your grip will get tighter once you begin using the walking stick.
- Put on the decorations: This last step is optional but is still highly recommended. Aside from the fact that it can provide aesthetic value to your walking stick, paper decorations can also add weight to the stick. Added weight will mean more stability for your walking stick. Once this is achieved, the PV walking stick will be more staunch once you already use it outdoors
While mountain climbing and other outdoor adventures sound really alluring, you must bear in mind that you still need some guidance if you want to participate in such activities. It certainly does not hurt to be prepared all the time. Bring your PVC walking sticks with you every time you go outdoors. In case you do not have one yet, just follow the procedures written here and you can make your own in a matter of hours!