Sand sculpture is the art of carving the sand to your desired shape and design. The trendiest subject of sand sculpture, especially among children and amateur sand sculptors, is the sand castle. Recently, high end competitions with large prices for sand sculpture have started to become popular. It is now time to level up from building simple sand castles to more intricate sand sculpture. To help you have a working knowledge on how to make a sand sculpture, here are some guidelines.
- Learn the different characteristics of sand. Research about sand in the Internet or go to a library. Sand is the medium for sand sculpture. So you must know how to identify good sand for sand sculpture because not all sand are good for sand sculpture. Good sand for sand sculpture is a mixture of sand, silt, clay, and water. Such mixture keeps the sand compact and ready for shaping and designing. Some sand sculptor use water soluble glue or acrylic materials to keep the sand stand for a longer period.
- Make a plan. Sand sculpture is no joke. You must have a plan that serves as your blueprint. Every part of your desired design must be detailed in your blue print. This way, it is easier for you to repair and fix your sand sculpture in case it will be damaged in the process.
- Materials to prepare. Spray bottle, chisels, spatulas, containers, shovel, spoon, knives, and bucket are some of the materials needed in building a sand sculpture.
- Form the base. The first thing to do in building sand sculpture is to form the base. The base should be compact and wide enough to support the height of your desired design. Softpack and handstacking are the two ways of compressing sand. Pick one that is easier for you to do.
- Constructing the sand sculpture. To mold the shape of your desired design, use a large container. Fill the container with sand up to its lip, and then turn it upside down on the intended base. Raise the container slowly. Tap the side of the container to help the sand slide smoothly out of the container. If the different parts of your desired design have different sizes, use small containers of different sizes to mold it. Carve the design of your sand sculpture using spoons, chisels, spatulas or other pointed materials. Use your imagination in carving the intricate designs. While carving, spray water or a mixture of water and water soluble glue to maintain the moisture of the sand. Dry sand is difficult to handle. You may also decorate your sand sculpture using corals or improvise decoration made of sand also.
- Consult a sand sculpture instructor. Sand sculpture is a complicated task. It is impossible to make a perfect sand sculpture overnight. Consult and confer with a professional sand sculpture to learn tips and techniques that are known only to an experience sand sculptor. The website, SandCastleCentral.com, provides a list of qualified sand sculpture instructors together with the beaches where they conduct their classes. Check it out.
The above-mentioned tips on how to make a sand sculpture are not enough to make you a serious sand sculpture. Patience and continuous practice is a plus factor.