Office tables today have become very complex pieces of furniture that come with more compartments than you really need. These desks are also very expensive and are sometimes even made from lumber from virgin forests. If you want to economize while taking part in the effort to conserve the planet’s natural resources, a sawhorse desk is one of the best table options for you. The sawhorse desk is not only very cheap, but also very easy to create. Here are the steps you should follow.
- Find the desktop. Generally, you can use whatever type of flat surface panel that you need. However, the most common and environmentally choice is to find an old door panel. Thrift shops and neighborhood garage sales will sometimes sell old doors, although you can also use one from your own household especially if you are undertaking renovations. The best doors for a sawhorse desk are those which come with a completely flat surface. Another option is to find good lumber from a construction supply shop. The advantage of purchasing raw lumber is that you get to choose wood products that have decorative ingrains.
- Fill in the crevices. In most cases, however, the door or lumber which you purchase will have some minor crevices in the actual surface. For small bumps, you can sand off the layers. For crevices however, you will need to fill these in with epoxy and wood clay. Once these have hardened, you can add a layer of varnish to protect the wood from the objects that you will place on top of the table.
- Choose legs. The next step is to choose the sawhorse legs that you will use. Generally, sawhorse legs are available in most hardware shops. These come in a variety of shapes and styles. There are cheap sawhorse legs that are made of wood. There are also saw horse legs that are made of metals or plastics. Choose one according to your budget.
- Mark the desktop. Flip the desktop so that the underside is facing up. Take a pencil and draw a line on the approximate area where the sawhorse legs will come into contact with the desktop’s underside. Generally, the sawhorse legs should be a foot away from the edges of the desktop. The legs should be placed on the opposite ends of the panel when the desktop is aligned lengthwise. This will provide maximum support for the table.
- Mount the desk. Once you have marked the desktop, flip it over and place the panel on top of the sawhorse legs. Make minor adjustments to ensure that the desktop is secure and stable. You can check for stability by adding some weights. Add a box of books that is similar to the weight of your desktop computer, for instance. If the sawhorse desk holds, then you are proceed to placing the more sensitive equipment on the desk. You can also add a layer of glass to protect the top of the desktop, especially if you are using antique doors or expensive lumber.
If you are going for an inexpensive but sleek and minimalist look for your home office, the sawhorse desktop is one of the best choices. Through these easy steps, you should be able to accomplish this easily.