A simple handbag can be costly to a person who does not know how to make one. Sometimes, the simplest handbag can be the most in demand in the stores because it offers varied designs and convenience in one.
If you have art inclination and entrepreneurial skills, making your own handbag may actually be a start of your own business someday. A simple handbag costs very little if not free at all. It is easy as 1-2-3. Here’s how:
Materials that you will need:
- Thick fabric (size will vary depending on your preference)
- Sewing machine (optional)
- Threads (should be of the same color as the fabric or should complement the color of the fabric)
- One yard of lining fabric or strong thread
- Small rings for the bag handle (size of a quarter)
- Choose your pattern. A pattern is the determining factor of all the elements of your design. Color and style will vary depending on the pattern of the handbag.
- Prepare your materials. You may use fabric from used clothes or damaged curtain that you can still recycle.
- Lay your fabric flat on a hard surface.
- 4Fold the fabric in half. You can use a ruler to make sure that the fabric has equal sides.
- Sketch the pattern or shape of the handbag that you have in mind.
- Cut the sketched pattern in one side of the fold. The base of your cutout will be the bottom fold of the fabric. Do it again to the other side of the fabric.
- Place the two sides of the fabric back to back. The part of the fabric that should be facing you is the wrong side (the back of the fabric).
- Put your needle and thread together and start sewing the pieces together. Start at the bottom part and work your way up to each sides of the fabric.
- Get the strong thread or fabric lining. Either of the two will do. In the case of the fabric lining (this can also be a thick material from used clothes or jeans), cut according to the desired length of the bag handle.
- Fold in half and sew them together. Punch holes an inch away from the edge of the opening.
- Secure the rings in the hole. Insert two inches of the fabric lining. Fold the two inches back to back with the lining in the other side of the ring. Sew them together. Make sure that the lining is securely attached to the other side because this will take the weight of the bag and its contents.
- Your bag is now ready. You can put a rectangle cardboard to the base of the bag to add volume to the bag.
Bags are easy to make. Once you get the hang of it, you will be on your way to creating more designs. Perhaps, you can even start your own local bag store.