With a little creativity you can recycle just about anything. If sweaters are clogging your closet and you don't know what to do with them, consider using the old clothes to make a blanket. Follow these steps to make a sweater blanket.
- Stick pins
- Sewing machine and thread
- Soft fabric backing (cotton, felt, chenille)
- Design the blanket. Gather your old sweaters together and lay them out to get a look at what you have. From this you can decide on the placement of the sweater patches and what shapes you want for each sweater patch. Larger patches will be easier to use. Choose a rectangular patchwork or plaid look for easier stitching or use a mix of shapes and sizes for a more eclectic blanket look.
- Cut the fabric backing. Choose a fabric and decide upon the size of the blanket you want. Cut to the desired size. For ultimate coziness, choose a fabric that is soft yet durable.
- Arrange the fabric onto the backing. Lay the fabric for backing onto a flat surface. Design and organize your fabric scraps onto this backing. Use scissors to cut excess sections from the old sweaters. Use the pins to secure all the fabric patches to the blanket. Leave an edge of ½ to 1 inch on all sides of the blanket.
- Fold over trim edges. Fold over the trim edges and pin them. This trim will help you avoid snags and unraveling of the cut pieces of the old sweaters. A folded trim edge also creates a sleek and professional looking edge.
- Sew the sweaters to the backing. Use your sewing machine to sew a seam around each of the sweater pieces. Make sure to adjust the thread thickness and color as necessary for the sweater fabrics you are using so that you have secure patches with a finished look. Once all the seams have been sewn and are secure, remove the stick pins.
- Embellish as you desire (optional). Once the sweaters have created the basic blanket you can make even more of a statement by embellishing the design. Add fringe, ribbon or any other design element to your new blanket. Attach buttons, sequins or glittery elements to hide any seams in your pattern or to create a creative design. Have fun with this step to create a personal blanket or gift.
- Cozy up with the new blanket. The blanket is ready to curl around you or a loved one for a warm evening.
With a few simple steps and some creative planning, you can recycle old sweaters into a new sweater blanket to warm you through the winter. Be choosy with synthetic fabrics and the blanket will be washable as well.